grain solver snow steps exporting to maya

2032   2   0
3 posts
Hi, I'm trying to make snow step for a short, I found some references like this https://vimeo.com/370694520, [vimeo.com] we will use redshift for maya as render engine, I tried several things, with grain soolver and with velum grain but I think my issue is when I have to export the thing to maya. I don't understand what i have to export to get this result, I tried with a volume rasterize particule but all I have is a density attribut so in maya it looks like a cloud, I also tried something like this screenshot but same result i only have density attribut. Do I have to export something else a geo or something, or in maya I have to do something else ? Do i have to export this as geometry instead of volume ?

Attachments:
image_2021-01-27_113108.png (49.1 KB)

28 posts
If your going for the volume approach, it really comes down to shader tweaking to get the snow look. Im not too familliar with Redshifts volume shader, but exporting a out a vdb with just the density field should be enough to get a decent result. In Maya, make sure you have some decent lights setup. In redshifts volume shader I imagen you could mess with a density scale which will make the volume thicker and more dense. You can probebly tweak the light scattering and shadow density which will block less light and allow more light to shine through the volume. Again, mostly comes down to shader tweaks.

A different option to exporting out volumes could be to mesh your particles and create geometry with the vdb tools. hen add some detail with noise and such. This however can get quite expensive depending on your voxelsize.

I know Steven has a tutorial [www.cgcircuit.com] based on making snow with grains and rendering it in houdini. Bet you could take alot from his shader techniques and apply them in Maya.
FX reel https://vimeo.com/523174378 [vimeo.com]
3 posts
thank you for taking time to answer i will check this out.
  • Quick Links