How to export even the most basic FBX animation?

3350   2   0
45 posts
I've used Houdini for a few years now, but never actually needed to export any animation from there.

Now I'm trying to do the most absurdly simple animation, and cannot figure out to how to export it as an FBX.

For testing purposes I simply want to animate a cube around a scene and export both the cube and the animation clip for bringing into a game engine (Playcanvas).

I'm aware that FBX animation requires a bone hierarchy, so I've tried creating a single bone and pairing it with the cube. I've then animated the chain root.

I've tried using the ROP FBX Output node to export the animation using the 'Export Animation Clips (Takes)' section, but that doesn't seem to work. I've also tried the ROP FBX Animation Output node, but that complains that it "can't find 'name' nor 'path' point attribute'.

I'm totally lost. How can I export this super simple FBX animation?!

I have attached the simple example hip file.

Attachments:
Box.hiplc (199.6 KB)

2540 posts
What worked for me was using the File/Export menu. The only change I made to the dialog was to uncheck export as ASCII. Not all systems support the import of both ASCII and binary versions of FBX.

The RED box is the animation exported using the File menu, and then brought in using an Agent node in FBX mode.
Edited by Enivob - May 10, 2021 17:10:00

Attachments:
box_fbx.gif (241.3 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
45 posts
Hey, thanks so much. Yeah, I was able to export it using the File/Export menu. Thanks!
  • Quick Links