mqserver standalone (service) - is there a way to avoid the second (managing) job on farm?

1489   2   2
3 posts
Hi guys,

I'm trying to use the included mqserver bin and was hoping this would remove the need for an additional deadline task when using the deadline scheduler. Is this not the case? Maybe I got it wrong, but I was under the impression that the mqserver bin should handle communication between clients when using "Submit graph as job" from the deadline scheduler.
I would love to get rid of that second deadline job as it just blocks a whole slave machine and even worse consumes an additional license while the task job is running. But what I'm seeing is, that still, even if I start mqserver and put the scheduler mq settings to "connect" and submit the graph as job it creates an additional "communication job" with deadline (this job does register with the mqserver btw. so the setup at least seems to be working). If this second job is still needed to manage the task job I'm a bit puzzled to what the purpose of the provided mqserver bin is. Maybe someone using mqserver can point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot! & Cheers,
Flo
Edited by bhfx - May 19, 2021 12:05:27
129 posts
+1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4NQi8wpYUbR9wLolfHrZVA [www.youtube.com]
7025 posts
I just add another worker and let it do its thing I did run mqserver manually (i.e. in a shell) and use the appropriate ports, which also worked.

I'm not sure what you mean about consuming a license, Deadline is free, and mqserver doesn't consume a license! It should not be running Houdini Engine just for the communications, but even if it does, Houdini is licensed per-machine so you can run multiple Engines on one machine consuming a single license.

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links