Using Rest node with "FBX Character Import" to stick texture

1655   2   0
6 posts
Hello guys!

I am asking for your guidance in solving a problem I am facing. With my current project, I want to make the texture I've made via Redshift follow the animated FBX object. I tried doing it using Rest node + Redshift's Triplanar node with Projection Space Type set to "Reference".

Unfortunately, it just doesn't work and I am not sure where to put it exactly in such setups. I tried different options, namely putting Rest node after the second output of "FBX Character Import". Although I can see the texture sticking in Redshift IRP, normals went haywire and I couldn't fix them. Thus, I guess it's not the right place for this node.

Also, in the Geo Spreadsheet, I saw that for some point rest position values were changing during the course of the animation.

I am sure that the solution is not that complicated, but I just can't get my head around it. Thank you in advance!
Edited by heyiamopia - June 25, 2021 06:27:53

Attachments:
soft_dude.hiplc (939.3 KB)
NEW_GUY.fbx (4.1 MB)
mylameattemptstodoit.jpg (349.7 KB)

8551 posts
if anything it should be after first output as that one contains rest geo, the second one is rest skeleton
also make sure to set Add Normal option for Rest Normals on Rest SOP
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
6 posts
Thank you so much, Tomas!

It seems like adding the Rest node after the first input really helped and my textures are finally connected with the geo. It's funny how simple the solution was, lol. Although I couldn't figure it out on my own.
  • Quick Links