Labs RBD To FBX bone rotation help

1635   2   1
2 posts
Is it possible to get the original rotation of pieces through the RBD to FBX labs export into Unreal?

Trying to attach static mesh movers to an FBX skeleton in Unreal based off an RBD simulation. The current labs tools are awesome but bake out a skeleton with location data but all of the rotations set to 0. Is it possible to bake this out in a way that keeps the meshes orientation while still providing a correct skinned mesh?

Test I’m doing is attaching nanite meshes to the skeletal animation but without the orientation being correct it doesn’t allow the same base mesh to be attached to multiple bones. The idea here is doing RBD pieces that are heavy detail Nanite but attached. Similar to the Anicents demo pieces.

Any tips/thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Jaysen

Attachments:
mesh_test1.png (194.3 KB)
mesh_test2.png (147.9 KB)
anicents.png (329.7 KB)

Staff
99 posts
Hi,

The main thing is to pack pieces before transforming it. This way, the rotation will not be cleared.

When packing happens after transforming (this is desired in some cases), the visually rotated pieces are considered to have no rotation at the moment of packing and their current orientations are considered the default orientations. You can verify this by checking Geometry Spreadsheet > Primitive > Intrinsics:packedfulltransform. When packing happens after transforming, the 4x4 matrix reported here will be an identity matrix and there will be no rotation in UE.

The secondary thing is it's now preferable to use ROP FBX Output SOP instead of Labs RBD to FBX to export RBD piece or general-purpose skeletal mesh animations. You don't even have to use RBD solver. You can move pieces however you like, such as using a Transform SOP in this example. I attached a HIP file.

Good luck and let me know if there are further questions!

Cheers,

Attachments:
Nanite SK Attachment Test.hip (266.3 KB)
houdini_BBfXNZ7hSe.png (793.6 KB)
UE4Editor_nCRMeRAEjt.png (1.3 MB)

Mai Ao
Senior Technical Lead of SideFX Labs
youtube.com/@notverydarkmagic
2 posts
Appreciate the thorough and prompt response. Looking forward to trying that all out.
  • Quick Links