Need some help with lines created from edges

2044   7   0
36 posts
Hello! I've been running into this issue and don't know how to solve it, I've tried this many different ways also using the ends sop to unroll.

It works right up until I put a resample node on it, that's when I get double edges, in this case I used subdivision in resample to show it better, I tried all the settings in the resample node and doesn't solve the problem.

Note this method works great on closed lines, just not open ones.

Here's the pic.
Edited by 3dspline - Nov. 24, 2021 16:59:53
36 posts
Also some corners stay sharp when using subdivision resample, my expectation would be it would smooth them all out, even using the new curve tool if they are linier points they won't smooth out during a subdivision resample, its fine if that's how it works but how to control that, how to delete that information from the points?
Edited by 3dspline - Nov. 24, 2021 20:05:45
679 posts
Hey 3dspline,

simply use the Labs "edge group to curve" node it will do the job.

Cheers
CYTE
18 posts
The edges extracted are disconnected and have overlapping that's why you end up with double edges and sharp corners. You can fix it with PolyPath Sop.

Alternatively, you can try Edge Group To Curve from SideFx Labs or modifying Convert Line Sop to extract specific edges as well.
36 posts
Thank you both! the lab tool is works great, I keep forgetting I have all those tools too!

And thank you PatW, its still important I understand how it works even if the lab tool can do the job, the polypath is just what I was missing!

I think I'm getting it, so each polygon has an edge so to speak, since its edges on the inside they technically have 2 edges in one since two polygons share the edge and the dissolve isn't smart enough to just extract it correctly or not meant to do it, meanwhile if its a boundary edge it seems to do it really well as there's only one edge possibility for it to choose.

The convert line doesn't do it as well in my case, it helps if I add a join after it to prevent some polygons extruding upwards while others downwards but the join can cause problems too, still has some issues, but polypath is gold so far!

edit: Konstantin, that works in some cases but if the pattern is broken then it recreates the edge in a different way unfortunately.(eg. if the point numbers or distance between points is not in sequence of the path)
Edited by 3dspline - Nov. 25, 2021 00:58:28
36 posts
One more crazy thing I'm trying to do in Houdini!

Let's say you select a font and type in 'O', you get a circle with a circle in it and can extrude it outwards as such, if I merge and join two circles together, I can't replicate the result, lets say I had to create a head gasket in Houdini using lines then extrude up, is that just not a thing?
I'm more interested in this now that the new curve tool is just great, would be neat to do more with it.

Edit: Konstantin, will do! I didn't have a file where the add failed on me, that happen months ago and I ended up just doing something differently, you are right that it has worked well for me a bunch of times I did that before. Thank you for adding here!
Edited by 3dspline - Nov. 25, 2021 01:08:33
670 posts
Hi 3dspline, try the hole SOP. Its cutting out inside curves afaik.
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
36 posts
Konstantin, it works! that's wonderful, thank you so much!

I had trouble finding this information online as not many people model in Houdini and wasn't good at knowing how to search for it, I'll take all this info and make a nice tutorial for it on youtube! I think it will be very useful for people and will help me remember.
  • Quick Links