Solaris - Change or edit materials on Layout instances

3145   4   1
143 posts
Hi,

when I use the Layout node to populate my scene, is there a way to edit or completely change a material?
When I use the EditMaterialNetwork, it loads the material, allows me to edit it, but the change doesn´t show up in the rendering. Sometimes, EditMaterialNode has a warning flag with a meesage telling me that authoring to an instance Proxy is not allowed.
When I try to rewrite the old material to a new one, the AssignMaterial node fails with messages about not being able to make the new material binding to an instance proxy.
There must be a way though to change or overwrite materials for instances.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ivan
52 posts
I have the same question actually
7805 posts
ivanmalek
There must be a way though to change or overwrite materials for instances.

There is not. Primitives below instances are write protected--they cannot be changed.

The scene could be authored differently, such that materials on instances are themselves instances of a primitive that contains a material with an 'inherits' arc. This would allow for edits on the material that they inherit from. Another option is for the material assigned to the prototype not to live under it. This would allow for edits, since it is not instanced.
77 posts
I had same issue problem is you should able to edit your prototypes and you instances should get those changes, but for some reason your prototypes also come in instance from layout tool.

Just put down configure primitive node and set your prototypes to not instancable and you can modify them freely.

It is very confusing how it is setup at moment...
8 posts
I agree with Blekshep, when you switch to reference in the layout tool it should not be instanceable, there is a option in the tool for reference instanceable.
  • Quick Links