Solaris material gallery?

1294   3   1
66 posts
What's the process for building a library or gallery of solaris/karma/usd materials? For mantra, we have the material gallery. Saving a materialX subnet to the gallery doesn't seem to work for me (even adding keywords). Is there a solaris specific gallery or a way to use the existing gallery?

Thanks!

Brad T.
66 posts
2+ years later and I'm still wondering this. H20 has a built-in, read-only gallery available through the material linker node. Is there a way for me to create my own material gallery?
7770 posts
BradThompson
2+ years later and I'm still wondering this. H20 has a built-in, read-only gallery available through the material linker node. Is there a way for me to create my own material gallery?

There's an option to make a new database on the material linker, but I haven't tried to add anything to it.
Staff
4438 posts
It is possible to make a new material catalog, but we haven't exposed a UI for it the way we did with the Component Builder's ability to add your new asset to an asset gallery database.

If you're willing to run some python code, you can use the assetutils.MaterialGallery.addMaterialsFromFile method to add materials from a USD file on disk to a material catalog database. We are hoping to provide a nice workflow for this, but first we need to work out tools for authoring sensible sets of materials (where a generic base material is specialized to create a bunch of specific materials). So no promises on when this will appear, but we are aware of this missing piece.
  • Quick Links