sop crowd import to usd rop

1546   2   2
44 posts
Hey,
trying to understand the inner workings of the new sop crowd import.
When enabling both the animation and geometry save paths on the lop and connecting a usd rop after it, only the geometry file gets written out containing the animation as well. The animation layer itself is setup as an implicit layer that wont get exported, so in what cases would the animation save path kick in?
thanks.
Edited by frostfx - Jan. 11, 2022 10:59:33
44 posts
Got a couple of more questions regarding crowds in Solaris.
I have the crowd layers setup with purpose at the moment, so each agent layer has a low res version of itself and that works nicely when brought into Solaris. But i was curious about payloads. Would it make sense to have each agent as a payload? So when using the same idle crowd sim usd for many shots, it would be nice to only "load" the agents that are in the shot camera frustrum. Right now im deactivating them based on that, but would payloads give any performance benefits? and if so what would be the easiest way to set them up per agent? Although as i understand it that would mean that each agent was and individual layer, which does not sound like a good idea...

Also noticing that the playback framerates for crowds in sops are quite a lot higher than in solaris, loading back from a file. Is that to be expected or am i doing something wrong?
Edited by frostfx - Jan. 21, 2022 05:07:07
Staff
733 posts
I'm not sure offhand what causes the animation layer to be flattened as an implicit layer, but depending on the Save Style on the USD ROP it would be saved out to its save path

Having each agent as a payload probably wouldn't help much, I think, since they're individually pretty lightweight (just a SkelAnimation prim and then a reference to some shared prims). Deactivating or using population masks sounds like the best approach for pruning

The difference in playback speed is to be expected currently, as the SOP viewport is doing instanced GPU skinning, which isn't supported in Hydra / Houdini GL currently in the solaris viewport.
  • Quick Links