How to cut a geometry with an alpha texture?

2917   2   3
35 posts
I want to use an alpha texture to cut a geometry. Basically want a trace node but can work with an input geometry with any shape.

My idea is to have uved geometry. Then I map a black and white texture to that geometry according to the uv. At the edges of the black and white geometry, a bunch of points are generated to draw a line to cut the geometry.

However, I do not know how to get the position of the black and white texture in world space of the geometry. Any help is very much appreciated!

I tried scattering many points on the geometry and transfer the texture color to point color, then removing the black colored point to cut the geometry. But I think this method is not efficient and elegant enough. The contour of generated geometry is usually too rough and not precise enough.
7810 posts
Attribute transfer by UV, or the similar VEX functions could be used to deform the traced geometry onto a surface with uv's.

A boolean can be used in uv space to ensure the trace geometry has the same topology as the target.

Attachments:
uv_transfer_trace.png (974.2 KB)
trace_uv_texture.hip (134.1 KB)

35 posts
Thanks man! Your suggestions really helped me a lot.
  • Quick Links