Smoke emitter, along curve

1211   5   2
9 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to create a windtunnel effect where I can control the curves the smoke takes (so no collisions).
This is my reference: https://youtu.be/sV_6E1Lh7yo?t=76 [youtu.be]

I've got started but I'm having issues with the dissipation and speed of the smoke. Been looking around for tutorials/help on this and even though there are curve force info available I can't quite make it work correctly.

Could anyone give any pointers?

Thanks!

Attachments:
smoke_curve.hip (1.1 MB)

731 posts
Personally, I would create geo that looked like these trails, scatter points inside the geo, add a velocity attribute and rasterize density and velocity (maybe add a bit of volume noise), then render that without simming. When you're happy with that, you can then use those two fields to birth a supplementary pyro sim (if required).
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
9 posts
mrCatfish
Personally, I would create geo that looked like these trails, scatter points inside the geo, add a velocity attribute and rasterize density and velocity (maybe add a bit of volume noise), then render that without simming. When you're happy with that, you can then use those two fields to birth a supplementary pyro sim (if required).

That sounds effective. I'll have a look and see if I can sort it out myself. Thank you.
Edited by TobiasF - March 14, 2022 11:14:25
9 posts
mrCatfish

I've had a look at it and got the basic form down. Having issues with the velocity part, though. I've attached a file if you have time to take a look. Thanks.

Attachments:
test_curve_volume.hiplc (221.0 KB)

731 posts
Try this... I have both a lightweight sim and the unsimmed "core". I used the orient along curve SOP to generate a velocity in the direction I wanted (had to flip it in the wrangle just after) and rasterized that along with density. High dissipation and only a tiny bit of temperature to add a touch of buoyancy.

Obviously needs tweaking for look, but this is the basic premise.
Edited by mrCatfish - March 15, 2022 10:50:38

Attachments:
test_curve_volume_sean.hipnc (617.1 KB)

Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
9 posts
Thank you, will have a look
  • Quick Links