Keep animated texture in Cache

913   0   2
122 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm currently animating a project which involves placing real-life characters inside my 3D scene. I do all layouts in Solaris and write out each branch into a USD file. This works quite well, except for the animated texture file from the cards that I placed the characters on.

I can't seem to get Houdini to actually keep the image sequence in memory. If I go into the Texture tab of the Display Settings, I can see how Houdini discards the texture again when I move on to another frame, I assume it only discards it from VRAM(?)
And this is the only thing holding me back from real-time playback.

There seems to be some caching going on because if I overwrite the image sequence it will flicker on some frames and still display the old image sequence. But unfortunately, this isn't enough to keep playback.
The cache LOP is also of no help here.
In some cases, it seems to work for a few frames and then I reach real-time but not for long until the data is discarded again.

I am animating the image sequence through an edit properties lop, changing the file path based on the Frame, as recommended outside the Material Builder. It also doesn't help to disable the card of the characters, I actually have to disable the material to gain performance.

I have tried increasing the max texture cache in the Display options but it never goes above 4% before it discards the previous frame.

Does anybody know of a way to force Houdini to keep image sequences in (V)RAM? Or any other way to deal with this?
Edited by No_ha - April 25, 2022 01:01:24
  • Quick Links