Solaris Instance Time Offset by Attribute

2063   2   0
47 posts
Hello is there a way to use the instancer in solaris and do a retime based off of attributes. I know I can use the retime instances node in solaris, but want to see if this is possible to do with attributes instead. Thanks in advance.
Staff
357 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "with attributes instead".

The Retime Instances LOP node works with attributes - either as primvars on the instancer, or point attributes on the internal or external point cloud representing the instances.

This would be no different than using an attribute on the point cloud you feed the Instancer LOP (if this was a supported feature), however, the Instancer LOP doesn't support creating retimed prototypes on the fly using attributes on the points.

Technically, you can avoid the Retime Instances LOP node and do your retimes with the Instancer LOP, but you need to create each and every retimed prototype for the instancer yourself and specify the prototype index using an index attribute that needs to live on both the point cloud and the retimed prototype.

Here's an example hip file.

Attachments:
InstancerRetime.hip (246.0 KB)

47 posts
This is great and yeah I was wondering about the instancer creating attributes on the fly with say a point attribute. Something like i@randomStartFrame = rint(fit01(rand(@ptnum),1,100)); But that makes sense if the lops instancer can't make this on the fly. And thank you so very much for the detailed explanation and example hip file. I will pour over that.
Edited by tinyT - Sept. 24, 2022 11:14:28
  • Quick Links