Object space or world space using normal maps

1310   3   0
67 posts
Hello. I am doing some tests using normal maps in material x, Karma. Default one is world space in 'normal map' node. I'am wondering when I should use 'normal' node and plug object space into 'normal map' node (I've animated geo).
7796 posts
The default is tangent space. Are your normal maps in tangent space? Usually you don't have to plug anything into the node, other than uv coordinates.
67 posts
jsmack
The default is tangent space. Are your normal maps in tangent space? Usually you don't have to plug anything into the node, other than uv coordinates.

I am not talking about tangent or object in 'normal map' node, but there is 'normal' node and then you can choose object or world and I am wondering what are use cases for object
7796 posts
sniegockiszymon
jsmack

I am not talking about tangent or object in 'normal map' node, but there is 'normal' node and then you can choose object or world and I am wondering what are use cases for object

Ahh, I misunderstood. The space on the normal node is useful if the normal is being used to generate a pattern, such as 'snow' on the tops of surfaces and you need it to stick to the transforming animation. It won't work for deformations obviously.
  • Quick Links