point instancer skelroots

1380   3   1
20 posts
Hi everyone! Im trying to instance some deforming meshes (imported from sop agents as SkelRoot) but won't play the animation. I can see changing time samples in animation primitive in prototypes, but the instances stay still. relationships also look ok. if I instance some rotating boxes or cached deformations it works
does anyone know how to make it work?

Attachments:
dynamic_trees_v003.hip (1.5 MB)

Staff
730 posts
I don't think this is supported by Hydra on the rendering side of things. A workaround would be to use the BakeSkinning operator to bake out the skinning to a deforming mesh, when then can be instanced.
20 posts
cwhite
I don't think this is supported by Hydra on the rendering side of things. A workaround would be to use the BakeSkinning operator to bake out the skinning to a deforming mesh, when then can be instanced.

That seems to be working. Thanks for advice. This works pretty fast and doesn't waste disk space, this is cool. but what if I want to loop the animation? I dig into and the only thing I found is value clip node, which requires animated data to be cached on disk.. but I couldn't make it work with my skinned geo before the bakeSkinning node, when I try to use /my_agent/animation prim as a value clip prim.
Staff
730 posts
I'm not familiar enough with value clips or whether they have any limitations with skinned primitives, but perhaps try looping the deformed geometry instead?
  • Quick Links