How to utilize Component Builder extra layer

1139   2   2
21 posts
Hello!

I'm following the component builder tutorial. I can see adding extra stuff as an extra layer can be quite useful.

Let's say we have a lamp asset. I added a light as extra layer. Now in layout, I reference in the lamp asset, how can I control the lamp light on and off? Basically is there way to control this extra layer?

Thanks!

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-01-15 131248.png (61.4 KB)

Staff
43 posts
The extra layer will be expressed in the Scene Graph as another descendant of the asset. For instance, if you had 'light1' in your extra layer, then your component output (assuming otherwise default configuration) should have descendants called 'geo', 'mtl', and 'light1'. You could control the light using a Prune, Light Edit, or Light Mixer, just like any other primitive.

Knowing the standard prim path outputs, you could build a primitive pattern to select the extra layers. For instance:
/componentoutput1/* ^(/componentoutput1/geo /componentoutput1/mtl)

That selects everything under /componentoutput1 except for 'geo' and 'mtl'.
21 posts
BryanRay
The extra layer will be expressed in the Scene Graph as another descendant of the asset. For instance, if you had 'light1' in your extra layer, then your component output (assuming otherwise default configuration) should have descendants called 'geo', 'mtl', and 'light1'. You could control the light using a Prune, Light Edit, or Light Mixer, just like any other primitive.

Knowing the standard prim path outputs, you could build a primitive pattern to select the extra layers. For instance:
/componentoutput1/* ^(/componentoutput1/geo /componentoutput1/mtl)

That selects everything under /componentoutput1 except for 'geo' and 'mtl'.
Aha, I forgot to check the scene graph. Thanks Bryan!
  • Quick Links