Slow and sluggish viewport performance

1061   2   2
11 posts
Hi,

Has anyone else struggled with slow viewport performance in Solaris? I have quite a heavy scene which behaves absolutely fine in OBJ, but when imported to STAGE the same scene becomes very, very slow. Particularly transform handles. As soon as I touch one the whole software stops for a solid couple of seconds before reacting and moving the object. It's not really workable. If I try to work with two stacked views forget it, the program just comes to a halt.

I'm not particularly experienced with Solaris and mainly just use the scene and SOP import nodes and create my lights and cameras for rendering. Is there anything I need to take into account when importing my scene to improve performance in general?

Appreciate any help!

EDIT: Just to make myself clear I'm not talking about IPR performance with Karma, just regular Houdini GL.
Edited by frig2 - June 10, 2023 09:25:31
Ryzen 9 5950x - RTX A5000 - 64GB RAM
77 posts
First of all always have the node selected and view flag on what you edit at the moment. Sometimes i move my edit/whatever node to the end of my tree temporarily and put back when I'm done with it.
Also I would to filecache to usd so for sure its not reading it from sops any more. Could check if it is time sensitive by mistake.
I found solaris opengl way better performance wise as sops viewport so something must have gone wrong
Staff
453 posts
If you're able to share a screenrecording (either here on the forum or via support) of a minute or two of you using Solaris and running into these issues, we'd be happy to take a look and see what advice/solutions can be provided.
  • Quick Links