Crashing to desktop with no error logs

1456   4   4
1 posts
Having an issue where Houdini is crashing to desktop with zero signs of error or logs to show what happened. Just closes and then nothing. Usually happens when I'm working on flip sims. I'm running a 13900k, 64gb ram and a 4090, so I feel like I shouldn't have this issues. I can run the same setup on my m2 MacBook air and it runs flawlessly. Really getting frustrating.
2539 posts
Sounds like a hardware issue then. Can you machine pass the Prime95 test? Try lowering the overclock on your 13900 and reseating your 64GB ram chips.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
1 posts
I'd been having a nightmarish time in Unreal with that hardware configuration. I'm not at a Houdini client at the moment so I can't test the theory, but what got me to stability in UE was going into the BIOS, and enabling the option to Park the efficiency cores on the proc. On my mobo, the toggle is Scroll Lock, your mileage may vary.
1 posts
Anyone else having issues with some solvers being "unstable" with the new P-Cores\E-Cores CPUs? 12th and 13th gen CPUs?

@sideFX?
2 posts
Hey, yeah I had issues with it, in fact a lot. The main reason for it to be unstable is to be cross the temperature limits or if you have bad config in bios. This can lead to Houdini just abruptly close especially during simulations. No need to turn off e-cores, just need some balance in bios so the whole thing works stable. Also maybe use ParkControl for ensuring that all cores are used, and not just some of them during sims in PDG etc. Hython.exe ran only on e-cores for me until I fixed it with ParkControl, another option is to set houdini/hython to higher priority in process lasso.
Just to make sure there is everything fine with the CPU itself you can run Intel Diagnostics tool for CPUs to confirm that the CPU is good as a whole, then the next thing is to find the best settings in bios for you, I think they are all different for everyone, depends on the mobo and cooling.
Edited by lavrenovlad - Dec. 28, 2023 18:32:41
  • Quick Links