Best way to get attribute paint to ignore some geometry

788   4   1
66 posts
Hi,

I'm wanting to paint attributes onto a character's body using an attribute paint node.

The character is wearing clothing that obscures most of the body.

On the attribute paint node, I can select the group for the character's body and it will only paint onto that group, which is good, however the character's clothing blocks the paint strokes from reaching the body in most cases.

I just assumed that if I selected the body group it would also ignore the clothing and allow me to paint through the clothing onto the character... but it doesn't seem to work that way.

My current work around is to slit the body from the clothing, paint onto the body and then merge to body and the clothing back together again.

Is there a better/cleaner way of achieve this?

Thanks
60 posts
make sure "visible only" is not checked, otherwise you will only be able to paint on geometry you can actually see. if it's unchecked it works for me as aspected, i can paint through the clothing only affecting the body when set to the correct group (tested with test geometry tommy)
56 posts
Hey, I can't test it right now but I think if you use a visibility SOP before the paint SOP you could 'solo' your objects for painting. Deactivate/change the node when you are done.
56 posts
My bad, just tested it. One way is to use a group (point) and refere to this group in the attribpaint. If you want you could combine it with the visibility SOP to only see the object you wish to paint. I made a demo if it is interesting for you.

Attachments:
easypaint.hip (633.8 KB)

66 posts
Thank you both.

I was able to achieve what I was wanting, which was to paint through the clothing onto the character, while still having the clothing visible on screen using a combination of the point group, visibility nodes and having the "Visible only" option checked on the paint node.

At first this didn't work as the clothing was still blocking the paint strokes, but I found that if I increase the "Visibility Bias" value on the paint node it started working correctly.
  • Quick Links