USD Character Import Problem

1472   7   1
126 posts
Hi

If I import a USD Character using the USD Character Importer in a Create SOP in LOP, the performance of
the animation is very slow compared if I import it in OBJ context and display there.
Another thing, I can't get rid of the rest pose, displayed as points, these points aren't displayed if I import in obj context.

What am I doing wrong?
Edited by tomtm - Aug. 12, 2023 05:24:50

Attachments:
Lop.jpg (802.8 KB)
Lop_II.jpg (478.3 KB)

7802 posts
Have you tried sublayering or referencing the usd into lops, or is it just a rig that is animated in sops?
126 posts
jsmack
Have you tried sublayering or referencing the usd into lops, or is it just a rig that is animated in sops?

It's a .usd File imported in the LOP Network in a SOP Create.
But if I import the same file in in the .obj context it's playing in realtime, then this point cage isn't visible.
7802 posts
tomtm
jsmack

But if I import the same file in in the .obj context it's playing in realtime, then this point cage isn't visible.

If it's a usd file, then a sop create not the typical way to import that. Reference it directly onto the scene graph in LOPs with a reference node.
126 posts
jsmack
tomtm
jsmack

If it's a usd file, then a sop create not the typical way to import that. Reference it directly onto the scene graph in LOPs with a reference node.

I uploaded a hiplc, I tried it also with AssetReference, but it's much slower in GL View compared if I import via USD Character Loader in the obj. context. Oh my god, is this all complicated :-)

What is the way to import USD Characters properly?
Edited by tomtm - Aug. 14, 2023 18:11:33

Attachments:
USD_Character_Test.zip (6.8 MB)

7802 posts
tomtm
I uploaded a hiplc, I tried it also with AssetReference, but it's much slower in GL View compared if I import via USD Character Loader in the obj

I just hit the equals key and picked the usd from the file dialog, then you can choose which way to import it. I picked reference but I don't think it matters unless you have specific things you need to do after importing. Yeah it's slower than the sop viewport, I think there must be something slow going on in the HoudiniGL viewport like computing tangents or something. The Storm viewport doesn't have that problem.
126 posts
jsmack
tomtm
I uploaded a hiplc, I tried it also with AssetReference, but it's much slower in GL View compared if I import via USD Character Loader in the obj

I just hit the equals key and picked the usd from the file dialog, then you can choose which way to import it. I picked reference but I don't think it matters unless you have specific things you need to do after importing. Yeah it's slower than the sop viewport, I think there must be something slow going on in the HoudiniGL viewport like computing tangents or something. The Storm viewport doesn't have that problem.

Hi,
thanks for answering.
The equals key? Where do you hit this and then there is a dialog? Sorry, I don't get it. :-)
7802 posts
The = key on the keyboard is the hotkey for importing geometry. In LOPS it will import usd into the stage, but since there are multiple ways to load things in USD, it presents a dialog to choose which one to use.

You can also use the tab menu to place a reference node or sublayer node directly.
  • Quick Links