instance procedurally placed assets

418   0   1
225 posts
Hello,

I need help coming up with a way to instance assets in solaris. I made a HDA (at sop level for proof of concept) that builds simple characters by taking modular assets and placing them. We plan to have a lot of these characters in a scene at once. Since each character is grabbing parts from the same USD asset pool, it makes sense just to instance the assets.

The hda I made at sop-level was great for proof of concept, but I am guessing for this to work (as in be instanceable in solaris) I would have to remake the HDA at LOP level?

My guess would be to make a lop HDA that does this:

1. Import the modular USD assets.
2. Place the assets to build the character. The way I did this in sops was by using copy to points. I had points where each piece needs to connect. For example, to connect a head to the torso I made a point at the location where the head needs to connect to the torso. I used a copy to points to either randomly copy one of the head assets or allow the user to manually specify a head asset to copy to the point. It seems I can do the same thing at lop level using the instancer lop. Since inside the instancer lop is sop level, I could use sops (just like my old hda) to create the points at the right locations for the instancer lop to copy the modular assets to.
3. Final step would be to export this character that is made from the original USD modular assets pool to a USD file.

Now lets say we made 100 characters this way. Would there be a way to import those 100 usd files in a way where the modular assets are being instanced? Because each of those character USD files we created are all going to be referencing the same original modular USD assets. Is something like that even possible? I hope that made sense.

Thanks
Thanks,

Evan
  • Quick Links