ViewerHandleInstall error message : know of any fixes?

1404   7   5
47 posts
i took the HEIGHTFIELD FILE node and duplicated / modded / saved it to a new HDA and altered it's HANDLE BINDINGS and now it prints this error when houdini loads and i'm wondering how to fix that? :

opdef:/Sop/terrain_heightStamp?ViewerHandleInstall (1): Unknown command: __import__

thanks!
-seneca
311 posts
Hi, check your houdini home folder (user’s folder, like where you have Desktop, Toolbar etc) and see if there is a copy of that node. (Maybe in otl)

If you see it there you can probably just delete it and restart Houdini.

Maybe you can start with a subnet, then turn that into a heightfield type and see if that works better.

No promises!

Cheers
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
47 posts
hi there!

if i delete the HDA and open houdini, the error doesn't appear. that and i searched my entire computer for any files with a similar name and there are none. so i believe the HDA itself is broken. it's probably because i added / removed tool handles a couple of times. i think one time i added it twice just to see what would happen and that's probably what's created this internal error that's impossible to fix.

i even tried deleting the tool handle to see if the error would go away and it won't. so i probably have to copy all the nodes to a new HDA and setup all the exposed variables again... exactly what i was trying to avoid... hah.

i've always wondered if an hda has any hidden internal data that's impossible to alter and this is probably one of those cases. :P

thanks for the tips.
-seneca
253 posts
Went down the same rabbit hole.. fix is simple

If you go to you're HDA's type properties -> Interactive -> State Script tab you need to press the 'clear' button in the bottom right part uit the dialog. Else you'll have a state without code. I fell in this trap when I simply ctrl-a deleted some stateviewer code I was experimenting with instead of using the that clear button.

Before you do that, right click on your HDA node and check on 'edit extra section source code', you'll see some state related files that cause the error, after using the clear button those files should be gone.

And you'll first need to add/remove a new state and handle script. Just press the 'new' button and create something, save the HDA and then press the 'clear' button in both tabs. That should clean it up properly.
Edited by Jonathan de Blok - Nov. 15, 2023 06:50:37
More code, less clicks.
47 posts
Jonathan de Blok

If you go to you're HDA's type properties -> Interactive -> State Script tab you need to press the 'clear' button in the bottom right part uit the dialog. Else you'll have a state without code. I fell in this trap when I simply ctrl-a deleted some stateviewer code I was experimenting with instead of using the that clear button.

Before you do that, right click on your HDA node and check on 'edit extra section source code', you'll see some state related files that cause the error, after using the clear button those files should be gone.

And you'll first need to add/remove a new state and handle script. Just press the 'new' button and create something, save the HDA and then press the 'clear' button in both tabs. That should clean it up properly.
awesome thank you. i went and rebuilt the HDA from scratch to get around the issue and it was NOT fun, so i'm looking forward to trying this if i run into the issue again.
900 posts
Jonathan de Blok

omg thanks, it was annoying me so much.
129 posts
Jonathan de Blok

Thanks that fixed my custom filecache
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4NQi8wpYUbR9wLolfHrZVA [www.youtube.com]
8 posts
Jonathan de Blok
Went down the same rabbit hole.. fix is simple .

Thanks, just had my first error-free Houdini startup since around November
  • Quick Links