make variants and proxies from usd file

996   5   1
15 posts
Hello.
I have a question about correct flow.
I receive usd file with geometry and materials from 3ds max, and it have structure like this
/root/geo01 /root/geo2 and etc /root/mtl. And I need transform this file to ready to use usd asset. With structure like this
/ASSET
/geo
/proxy
/render
/geo_with_variants
/mtl

Using For each i put all geo1 geo2 geo3 in to one geo_with^variants, but here is the problem, how to setup for every variant their own proxy, and to be able modify only render variant and have accordingly change proxy. I tried, and now I need to use path like this/ASSET/geo/*/geo_with_variant to set variant, but I guess that it's not very correct way, and with this setup Explore variant somehow doesn't work. What is more correct to setup variants and create proxy for each variant with geometry from another usd? As in all tutorials shows the way working with sophisticated create/import
15 posts
please check my example file

Attachments:
teapot.zip (910.4 KB)

15 posts
somebody can help me to solve this problems?
123 posts
Hi!

Maybe you can take a look at this Component Builder video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTqz6y_oAs&t=2s [www.youtube.com]

I think if you are not looking to automate the re-process of the asset you can use the component builder by manually re-building each variant with each proxy separately, and then merge all the variants.

You can find the modified hip attached.

I hope it works for you,

Cheers.

Attachments:
assets_processor_edit.hiplc (283.4 KB)

15 posts
cdordelly
Hi!

Maybe you can take a look at this Component Builder video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTqz6y_oAs&t=2s [www.youtube.com]

I think if you are not looking to automate the re-process of the asset you can use the component builder by manually re-building each variant with each proxy separately, and then merge all the variants.

You can find the modified hip attached.

I hope it works for you,

Cheers.
thanks! I will take a look, but I need autamoate solution to proceed many this files, as their initial structure is the same, and they already have ready materials, I just need to wrap them in friendly asset
15 posts
Hello all again. I figured out how to make it work. Only I still need help with correct lairs setup for saving USD structure. Can anybody take a look? I have tried, but Sop modify and Stage manager create own layers, that I can't delete. ideally my layers structure need to be like in attached screenshot

Attachments:
teapotv5.zip (921.4 KB)
Screenshot 2023-11-03 000223.png (42.1 KB)

• Quick Links