How to group all outside faces when there's many inside

814   4   1
81 posts
After fracturing, subfracturing, and chipping away a few bits, I can't make use of all the groups generated in the process to recover all outside faces. Even if I try to combine groups and subtract/add some, I can't get a clean group of all the polygons on the outside surface.

Is there a quick vex way of doing this? Or another combination of nodes?

Cheers
Edited by anbt - Nov. 2, 2023 05:03:05
131 posts
Have you tried grouping the original geometry pre-fracture and Group Transfer?
81 posts
Yes, I had done this but it didn't work perfectly
Edited by anbt - Nov. 9, 2023 09:02:57
1010 posts
If you mean all the original outsite faces, this might work. Use a primitive wrangle with this:

float dist = xyzdist(1, @P);
if(dist < 0.00001)
    {
    i@group_outside = 1;
    }

Attachments:
Group_outside_after_Fractures.JPG (138.2 KB)

81 posts
it for some reason doesn't work. I think because my geometry and grouping have become such a big mess that I can't make sense of it anymore. The geometry and grouping was perfectly clean up until the moment where I blast some small chunks off. The new outside faces revealed by this blasting are the faces I can only partially bring back to this new outside group. But some of them I can't, or otherwise, it groups some faces inside.

Thanks everyone for the help, at this point, I gave up it wasn't that essential to what I was doing
I either messed up somewhere in my workflow the way I organised my groups, overwritten something I shouldn't have or soemthing else.

I was thinking of creating a sphere englobing my geometry, and with a intersect() or some similar function, grouping the faces whose rays would be first intersecting, but because the geometry is quite concave, I am not sure it would even work.

Cheers!

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-11-12 130738.png (937.5 KB)

• Quick Links