how to set up emissive aov's properly?

663   2   0
63 posts
Hello there,
I have a question regarding emissive surfaces.

I have some surfaces with an emissive shader on it (mtlx) which renders just fine in the beauty. However, I must be doing something wrong when it comes to rendering out aov's for it because I am unable to filter that information into an emission aov.

It does not matter what I switch on in the karma render settings for emission. That pass just renders black, even though it is visible in the beauty render. Also, I tried to use the geometry render settings to set the geometries to render as lights, but with no luck either.

What am I doing wrong here? What is the correct way to do this?

Thanks,
Dag
8599 posts
Dougie0047
Also, I tried to use the geometry render settings to set the geometries to render as lights, but with no luck either.
when this is set to Yes or Auto they ill render as lights so you will not see anything in indirectemission as lights contribute to directdiffuse, you should still see directemission

however if set to No, you should properly see the contribution in intirectemission

if not post your file
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
63 posts
Thanks for your reply tamte!

Yes, it works as you advertise. There was a geometry render settings lop embedded in the usd file I was using that had the setting set to render as light and that was what caused the behaviour. Hmm... if I hook up a geometry render settings node after pulling in a usd file, it does not automatically override any settings that might have been done using the same kind of node inside the usd file? Correct?

Thanks again,
Dag
  • Quick Links