Where to find the camera shutter speed?

708   4   0
16 posts
Hello,

I was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of which LOP node contains the Karma render property for the camera shutter speed as shown in the documentation in the image I attached. It says it is a Karma Render Property, but I don't see that anywhere on the Karma Render Settings. I do not see it on the Render Settings LOP either. The camera LOP has the shutter open and close, but that is different than the shutter speed. Can someone please help me find this?

Attachments:
shutter.JPG (118.3 KB)

8568 posts
I don't think that exists in Karma, maybe it did at some point, but currently I believe Karma uses the shutter:open, shutter:close properties on native Camera USD schema, rather than it's own separate property
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
16 posts
Hmmm, that's what I was afraid of. If it was removed, it should be taken off the Karma documentation. SideFX is usually so good at having good documentation.

In light of not having the ability to control shutter speed, does anyone know how to approximate the 180 degree shutter rule for camera motion blur? Is it just having a shutter offset of 0.5?
8568 posts
damon_c_john
In light of not having the ability to control shutter speed, does anyone know how to approximate the 180 degree shutter rule for camera motion blur? Is it just having a shutter offset of 0.5?
What do you mean not being able to control it?

It's the duration between shutter open ad shutter close

So -0.25 to 0.25 is equivalent to shutter speed 0.5 and shutter offset 0

-0.5 and 0 is equivalenr to 0.5 and -1

0 and 0.5 is equivalent to 0.5 and 1, etc.
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
16 posts
Ah, okay. I think I just had a misunderstanding then. I came from recently from renderman where they had the shutter open time and shutter close time, but I think it just didn't register in my head that an open time of 0.5 was the same as -0.25 -> 0.25. But it makes total sense. Thanks for the response!
  • Quick Links