Why is my "High Quality Lighting" in viewport busted

864   9   0
11 posts
Hi Houwizards,

Whenever I enable ANY /obj-level light in the viewport and activate "High Quality Lighting (with or without shadows)" my geometry becomes a shapeless, grainy blob like in the pictures.

-This goes for every type of light (enviroment, distant, point...).
-It is nothing relating to the shading of the geometry itself, it has no attributes on it, same problem is with any and all geometry.
-Volumes are perfectly fine and beautiful.
-Only things I changed in the viewport display settings are 3D texture - Limit resolution to 512/512/512, and volume quality settings.
-I'm on windows 11, 7950x, RTX 4090. I'm was thinking it might be GPU driver problems but I tried to rollback a whole bunch of them and nothing worked. Both gameready and studio drivers.
-Renders are fine, but lights in general in the viewport seem to be megabusted. As i rotate the distant light, the shadows on geometry have 0 correlation with what is happening with the light: https://imgur.com/a/kdusdBz [imgur.com]

Any help? Is this even intended?
Edited by chilby - Feb. 13, 2024 17:49:37

Attachments:
light problem.png (3.3 MB)

679 posts
Is your geo packed maybe? Unpack it, convert it to polygon, and add normals to your geo.
Other than that: wait and see for the new viewport.

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - Feb. 14, 2024 02:44:17
11 posts
No, the problem persists with just a regular ole Box SOP as soon as I turn on a fresh scene.
679 posts
Hm driver issue then maybe.
The viewport isn't great but it isn't that broken either.
Edited by CYTE - Feb. 14, 2024 09:05:32
Staff
5158 posts
If you post the hip file and geometry, we might be able to determine what the issue is.
11 posts
@CYTE - I was thinking driver issues, too, but I'm on the latest 551.23 NVIDIA Studio Driver, so I don't know, this has been an issue for a while.

@malexander - I mean, sure, here is just a scene with just a box SOP with a singular point light in the scene, and it doesn't look correct on my system (box is fully black: https://i.imgur.com/jvOU8HK.png); as I said, it happens with literally all polygonal geometry in combination with any lights. Volumes are good.

There is a strong possibility that this is intended behavior and I'm just exceedingly dumb? I don't know.
Edited by chilby - Feb. 14, 2024 10:34:12

Attachments:
test.hiplc (135.8 KB)

127 posts
Have you tried to turn off x-ray in the display settings? Fixed similar issue for me earlier.
Edited by Heileif - Feb. 14, 2024 14:42:42
11 posts
Scene -> X-ray drawing? Just tried it, did nothing unfortunately
Staff
5158 posts
You've got Flat shading on by default, which does some odd things with HQ Lighting (the combo isn't supported). You may have done a "Save as Default" when the shading mode was set to flat. Also, Ambient Occlusion is on, which will always use HQ Lighting, even if you switch to Normal. It's a bug, though one that's fixed in the upcoming Vulkan renderer.
11 posts
Omg thank you, yes the flat shading was the problem! Cheers man
  • Quick Links