Getting a pyro simulation to flow across geometry

344   2   0
2 posts
Hey all,

I'm working on a sci-fi shield project, where objects impact a force field sending ripples across its surface. I have previously managed this with particle simulations, and I wanted to try and adapt it to a pyro simulation to make it look a bit better. Problem is I cant figure out how to get a pyro simulation to act in this manner.

The geometry of the shield is essentially an elongated sphere, so its not too complex.

So far i've tried a number of methods - first two separate collision volumes (one inside, one outside) in order to give the pyro simulation a thin empty space closely following the surface of the shield. This is how I did the particle simulation, but in this case whenever I try and run the pyro sim the source volume just disappears, even if it is not overlapping the collision. I've also tried the GasTargetForce node, which I still don't really understand, but using the "attract fluids" shelf tool gave me unexpected results that I wasn't able to fix. Finally I tried running a flat pyro simulation, and then volume deforming it via the ray node onto the surface of the shield, but this reduced the resolution of the simulation and also removed large chunks of it. I've been trying to figure this out for about two weeks now, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
2537 posts
Check out this link, with pyro conforming to a surface.
https://tokeru.com/cgwiki/HoudiniDops.html#pyro_stick_to_surface_with_project_non_divergent_sop [tokeru.com]
Edited by Enivob - April 3, 2024 17:31:12
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2 posts
thanks - will take a look at this tonight
  • Quick Links