Baked Masks in mtlx?

271   3   0
13 posts
Ive baked out maps for all my masks which i now want to use in mtlx... How do i go about adding them to my node network? At the moment im doing it like this... but it doesnt seem to be working correctly (I know how to import them when they are attributes, but this was too heavy so i decided to bake the maps out, delete the attributes and ddo it this way)

Attachments:
karma import.png (67.2 KB)
baked maps.png (216.2 KB)

7787 posts
angelicastroud
Ive baked out maps for all my masks which i now want to use in mtlx... How do i go about adding them to my node network? At the moment im doing it like this... but it doesnt seem to be working correctly (I know how to import them when they are attributes, but this was too heavy so i decided to bake the maps out, delete the attributes and ddo it this way)

That looks correct to me, what is it that isn't working? The uv coordinate should picked up automatically when not connected, but only when using the default canonical texture coordinate name. Use the geometry property value node to bind a custom coordinate.

For png files as masks, something to be aware of is the color space conversion. If the images were written in raw values to png, then they should be read as raw data as well. Masks from some sources often are. If the were written from Houdini, they the most likely weren't unless specifically forced to write raw. To read the raw values, change the signature of the image node from Color to Vector3 or Float.
13 posts
jsmack
angelicastroud

That looks correct to me, what is it that isn't working? The uv coordinate should picked up automatically when not connected, but only when using the default canonical texture coordinate name. Use the geometry property value node to bind a custom coordinate.

For png files as masks, something to be aware of is the color space conversion. If the images were written in raw values to png, then they should be read as raw data as well. Masks from some sources often are. If the were written from Houdini, they the most likely weren't unless specifically forced to write raw. To read the raw values, change the signature of the image node from Color to Vector3 or Float.

Hmmm, still cant figure it out. I shouldve added an image explaining what im trying to do: here you are.
The circled area should have a mask on and therefore be the only area changing colour. I baked them out with the default houdini labs bake node.
Edited by angelicastroud - April 19, 2024 17:54:45

Attachments:
aweaweawe.png (880.2 KB)

7787 posts
angelicastroud
Hmmm, still cant figure it out. I shouldve added an image explaining what im trying to do: here you are.

I'm afraid I can't follow what's going on in the image.

angelicastroud
The circled area should have a mask on and therefore be the only area changing colour. I baked them out with the default houdini labs bake node.

I don't see any masking going on in the screenshot you've attached.

Try starting with something simple, like directly connecting the image to the emission input of the material and disabling lighting or the diffuse and specular part of the material to be sure the mask is loading as expected.
  • Quick Links