Inserting a new point at an arbitrary ptnum

194   1   0
30 posts
Gang:

Curious whether there's a way to insert a point at an arbitrary location (not position in space, arbitrary ptnum) in an existing dataset?

For context, I'm working around a problem with a point cloud where what should have been point 0 is missing (I can tell this because the points in the cloud are supposed to form a regular grid). We aren't in a position to re-run the process that generated the point cloud, so I'm adding the missing point in a Wrangle and approximating its location based on its neighbors, which is good enough for now. The problem is that addpoint() appends the new point to the geometry with ptnum equal to @numpt, so I have to generate an id attribute and use Sort to get it where I want it at ptnum 0 (this matters downstream where we assign connectivity to create a surface). It's all working, but I'm curious whether there's some better way of doing it?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
4520 posts
Hi,

Since it's the first point you can also create it by itself and them merge with the input geometry.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links