Slide relax quad topology only?

578   4   2
5 posts
Hi people, I'm struggling a lot to slide relax a quad topology surface.

I've tried the smooth/blur nodes but both seem to either fold the surface in on itself or bunch up all the points in a highly stressed concentration at the concave border regions, or otherwise just generate odd results, exacerbated by having to re ray a shrunken version back to the original volume.

I need to preserve this point order to downstream convert to a single nurbs patch, that's why I can't just quad remesh as it tends to generate extraordinary points, not really sure how to go about this, so would love any feedback, thanks in advance

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2024-05-12 at 6.02.21 pm.png (2.5 MB)
Screen Shot 2024-05-12 at 5.46.45 pm.png (2.3 MB)
Hemi_Last.obj (188.0 KB)

83 posts
Plug your mesh into both inputs of a topobuild and use the relax brush.
5 posts
Hi thanks for coming back to me, hmm it mostly works but still on the concave border region it is crumpling up on itself after many topobuild smooth all runs.

I've attached the obj if you wanted to have a quick look?

Thank you!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 10.58.38 am.png (2.9 MB)
Hemi_Last.obj (188.0 KB)

480 posts
You can use smooth and turn off "constrained boundary" option. If you do, you can additionally set a constrained point group, which keeps the position. You probably want the "side points" with the sharp corners not in this group.

If you want to group procedurally and you have a grid like geometry, you can straighten it and use the relative (uv)positions to group the borders or you just manually group the points. If you don't want this group keep just keep it empty of course or turn it off (check attachment).

Attachments:
smooth_constrained_by_uv.hipnc (124.4 KB)

5 posts
Ah thank you so much!!
  • Quick Links