3d profession

5616   7   5
3 posts
Does anybody know what college or university in canada teaches d modelling and such?
how much does a 3d modeller make ?
454 posts
Just my humble opinion, but if you're starting out, look long term, do yourself a favor and do a computer graphics or computer science degree, and teach yourself art and modeling on the side. There are so many people doing just the art end, and every year some new technology comes out that means there are more people competing for less art jobs. Being an artist/engineer is where it's at. Why just today I heard about a BIG company laying off 75% of it's animators to focus on motion capture…
3 posts
thnx is there NYTHING SURROUNDING IT that u know hat doesnt need math
537 posts
I basically flunked out of math in high-school; doing 3D and scripting I find myself doing things that would have been beyond the scope of AP calc almost daily.

However, you might find that math can actually be fun when it's placed in relevant and creative contexts; high-schools at least in US schools really fail to get this part across.

I'd start with free video tutorials and demos of Houdini / Maya / Blender / etc and various 30 day trials (does ZBrush have one?) and see if 3D graphics looks interesting.

People getting into these kind of fields because they think it will be good/easy money have almost no chance .. these jobs are much harder than the office-pencil-pushing variety … start off paying a lot less, and certainly require better math skills than your average accountant or mortgage broker.
50 posts
basicly any school that has a 3d graphics program will be teaching modeling. If you want to be a modeler, start with clay while your making up your mind, learn to paint your chars. Get some info and video's on making Maquettes, which will look 100 times better on your real, than any model.

Not to dismiss modelers as they are an integral part of many animation pipelines, but they are a dime a dozen. If you want to have an edge, you will also want to be a texture artist and lighter as well, then you can model, texture, light and have some great looking renders. But if all you do is model, you will find a job eventually, and probably stay there for awhile, then one day need to find a new job and have no where to go, cuz everyone has all the modelers they need.
“Don't just look for what you think you will find”

-That CSI guy
3 posts
thanks again guys but i am not ultimately looking at the modeling only but just something in 3d graphics character design or such
113 posts
Sheridan college or Max The Mutt in Toronto for actully learning how to make character deisgn and classical drawing .
VFS in vancouver for 3d.
where am I?
696 posts
Don't expect to learn 3d from the undergraduate program at Sheridan. You will get a very strong emphasis on drawing; which may be exactly what you're looking for. But the computer class is becoming increasingly limited.

Honestly, I'd say that the gnomon dvd's are your best solution at getting computer knowledge.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
  • Quick Links