H9: view rsl code - better viewer, please?

2700   1   1
33 posts
Minor annoyance, but the text viewer that pops up when you want to view source code (RSL source of your network, for instance) is very painful to use, for a couple reasons:
I have to use inline nodes sometimes, and when the inevitable errors pop up, they come with a line reference. Which would be useful, except that this viewer doesn't display line numbers.
Now obviously, I could (and should) just copy everything over into an external editor. That's annoying though, because whenever I use this viewer, it's usually just to quickly look up a tiny section of code, just to find out exactly which part of my inline code is being referred to. And if I am to use an external editor, that means I'm constantly having to copy text back and forth, just for the sake of locating the specific line being referred to.
The idea of using an external editor is a moot point anyway, because selecting and copying text in this viewer window is quite troublesome. None of the traditional shortcuts for making quick selections (ctrl-a!) work. Up and down, left and right keys don't work. So, it's down to making manual selections with the mouse. That'd be fine, except that when you're viewing a larger file, you have to copy it in sections: You can't scroll while making a selection. And half the time you do select and copy something, it doesn't work anyway. When I was making full selections of all of my code and trying to copy it, it would time and again only successfully copy small portions of it. It only finally worked after closing, reopening and reselecting everything several times.

So, it's down to saving the code out to a file, and then loading it up elsewhere… Pretty annoying if you have many shaders and just want to quickly track down a section of code that's causing an error.

Just to be clear, I'm not expecting a full featured editor with syntax highlighting and all of that crap here. All I want to use this for finding out what is cuasing my shaders to err, nothing else. The more common expression editor is perfectly capable of serving this purpose. The viewer that shows up here, though, is very nearly unusable.
To fix it, line numbers would do it for me. Failing that, working select-all and copy would be enough. Failing even that, automatically opening the code up in notepad would be a great improvement.

Any improvement, please?
12481 posts
I believe there are RFE's to add line numbers and to be able to invoke an external viewer in existence already. I'd really like this very much too.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links