Installing Houdini 9 on Gentoo

3596   2   0
2 posts
Hi.
I'm trying to install Houdini 9 on a gentoo 64bit machine.

I followed this tutorial for houdini 6:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-58348-highlight-houdini.html [forums.gentoo.org]

When I launch houdini it starts up but all the icons are missing and it runs really slow. In the terminal I am getting this output:

/opt/hfs9.0.725/hsvg/hsvg-real: error while loading shared libraries: libpopt.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The libpopt.so.0 library in gentoo is located in /usr/lib64/libpopt.so.0 so I made a symlink to it:

ln -s /usr/lib64/libpopt.so.0 /opt/hfs9.0.725/hsvg/libpopt.so.0

Now when I run Houdini, nothing really change but im getting this error:

/opt/hfs9.0.725/hsvg/hsvg-real: error while loading shared libraries: libpopt.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

… is that error related to the system being 64bit and houdini…. not? (I downloaded the Linux i686 gcc3.3 version)
519 posts
If your gentoo OS is 64bit why are you using a 32bit version of houdini? And why the gcc3.3 version? Iirc gentoo already has gcc 4.2.2 installed (as well as corresponding libraries). Download a 64bit version of houdini and then try again. And it is no good linking a 64 bit library to a 32bit program….

Good luck!
2 posts
when I saw that the 64bit version said debian, suse, ubuntu I just thought that they were going to be rpms or debs…. so I didn't boterh downloading them.

Anyway, yeah, I just got the 64bit version, installed it and it runs great. Thanks.
  • Quick Links