H9 Depth Map

5773   7   0
32 posts
I cant setup the depth map shadow in H9.

If I set a light with depth map lights, doesn`t render the shadows. Although works perfect with raytrace…

If I create an shadow shader in vex with depth maps connected to a light template, works ok, but, what about the stardard light?

thanks!
282 posts
It doesn't work without shader. Light generate z-depth shadow map only, but not make shadows. Making of shadows is shadow shader job
Houdini is great! O'right?
1631 posts
Hi onesk8man,

Can you see the object or scene through your light? If you're using a point light, try to adjust the light so that it's pointing in the direction of the object. Looking through the light is the best way to make sure the depth map will be generated correctly.

If everything seems to be correct but you still don't get shadows, please post the hip file for us to look at or provide more information about the version & OS you're using. I tested with 9.0.748 on WinXP & it's working for me.

Wish, in Houdini 9.0, the Light Object has both light & shadow Shaders built in so turning on Depth Map Shadows will render with shadows.

Cheers!
steven
32 posts
Hi stevenong,

Thanks for the reply. it works ok.
Maybe the problem was that i was rendering with “render region” and with that tool is doing some weird things. Can you tell me why? Doesn't make sense ?

Aswell I don't understand why I need to point the light to the object S

Also, I'm trying to render particles with a light template + shadow shader in depth shadow, and it's ok, I'm getting a shadow, but I cant find where can I setup the transparence S

Thanks in advance!
Staff
1182 posts
onesk8man
Thanks for the reply. it works ok.
Maybe the problem was that i was rendering with “render region” and with that tool is doing some weird things. Can you tell me why? Doesn't make sense :?:

By default the render region tool uses a default mantra which is not very good quality - it is designed for very rough tests and you have no control over it. If you create a render node with Render > Create Render Node then when you use Render Region you can choose the mantra node from the operator control bar.

onesk8man
Aswell I don't understand why I need to point the light to the object

The depth map itself comes from a camera that is attached to the light. if the camera is not looking at the object then the shadow map will not be rendered.

onesk8man
Also, I'm trying to render particles with a light template + shadow shader in depth shadow, and it's ok, I'm getting a shadow, but I cant find where can I setup the transparence

Why are you sing a light template instead of one of the lights on the shelf. That light should have all the controls you need for tranparent shadows whether you render with raytracing or depth maps.

Steven - what is the problem you have encountered with the default light. It does have depth map shadow support built in and all the bells and whistles we felt were needed. If anything is missing please let us know. (I did see the thread earlier about camera controls).
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
32 posts
Thanks rmagee!

I tried creating a render node to fix the “error” with the render region. Now it works perfect.

Aswell pointing the light to the objects works perfect too.

Nevertheless why isn't there a flag for transparence in the shadow shader? Although I'll use the standard light for render depth shadow. They are more clear and simple to setup in H9.

Thanks for the reply!

bye!
1631 posts
Hi Rob,
rmagee
Steven - what is the problem you have encountered with the default light. It does have depth map shadow support built in and all the bells and whistles we felt were needed. If anything is missing please let us know. (I did see the thread earlier about camera controls).
Erm… I think you're asking Wish & not me. Maybe I should have done a @Wish or re: Wish to reduce the confusion.

Well, since you're asking me about the light, I would like to see the target handle back. The handle allows us to adjust the light position easily without affecting the target. Also, the handles seem to be broken so I'll start a new thread about them & also submit the bug reports.

Also, what is the thread about camera controls? Did I say something I forgot about?

Cheers!
steven
1631 posts
Hi onesk8man,
onesk8man
Nevertheless why isn't there a flag for transparence in the shadow shader? Although I'll use the standard light for render depth shadow. They are more clear and simple to setup in H9.

Thanks for the reply!

bye!
When you check on “Transparent Shadows” with Depth Map Shadows, you're using Deep Shadow maps. To find out more about Deep Shadow maps, you can read about it here [graphics.stanford.edu].

I've attached an example hip file. In the file, there are two mantra ROPs and one renders with Depth Map while the other with Deep Shadow maps. The Depth Map render has some problems with transparency while the Deep Shadow maps handles it very well.

I don't know how you're setting up your particles and why you're not getting what you want so it will be helpful to post an example hip file.

Cheers!
steven

Attachments:
depth_map_vs_deep_shadow_maps.hip (435.7 KB)

• Quick Links