Labs Building Generator

6971   15   4
2 posts
Hi, total noob here, I want to use Building Generator to create some buildings, so far so good.. But how do i use 3 different window panel types on random? I don't what to feed into switch to use random panels?
3 posts
I was wondering this myself. Some official video demos from SideFX seemed to hint that this was possible, but I couldn't find any documentation or detail on how to accomplish it. Finally, through some dissecting of the inner workings of the Labs Building Generator SOP I was able to figure it out!

Assuming you have 3 different window panel types you'd like to use, follow these steps…

Using the Labs Building Generator Utility SOP, name each one using the format "Base_Name*Variation_Number“. Note, the ”*“ is important. So your names might be: ”Wall*A“, ”Wall*B“, and ”Wall*C".

In the Labs Building Generator SOP, set the “Facade Module Pattern” to: “Wall*”.

You'll notice that this creates a random pattern using the three wall panels you provided. You can generate a different pattern if you'd like by changing the “Seed” value of the Labs Building Generator SOP.
3 posts
Upvote for Kristopher's tips! You're a real life saver sir thank you so much!
I spent hours to create a series of nodes to get facades randomized but it was not efficient enough, then I found this post hahah
1 posts
Hi guys,

I have a different question regarding the Building Pattern Generator which was released with the Project Titan project.

Does anyone know how I can create/ assign concave corners as a pattern?
When I use <PatternA> that works great. But how does the syntax work for inner corners?

Any help is highly appreciated!!
1 posts
Hello,

I am trying to follow the Project Titan tutorials:
The building pattern generator keeps telling me, the patterns are invalid. Even in the downloaded project file.
I am using Houdini 19.0.383 Python 2 and Labs version 19.0.657. I guess the versions do not work together for some reason or is the pattern generator broken in the current Beta state?

Kind regards
25 posts
CptHook
Hello,

I am trying to follow the Project Titan tutorials:
The building pattern generator keeps telling me, the patterns are invalid. Even in the downloaded project file.
I am using Houdini 19.0.383 Python 2 and Labs version 19.0.657. I guess the versions do not work together for some reason or is the pattern generator broken in the current Beta state?

Kind regards

Same here. Seems it is broken. I took example blocks from inside HDA. Either is not outputing anything, or giving warrning that you got.
2 posts
I'm learning so much using the Project Titan Tutorials! Super cool!

BUT, I'm having an issue when I bring my tool into Unreal Engine 5.

For Reference, I'm using Unreal 5.0.3 and Houdini 19.0.726 (education license)

When I attach the tool to a model via the world line input, I get my walls all off by 90 degree. I will try to post a screen shot.

What can I do? In the tutorial, Simon applies a clean to the input, which I did to no real effect. I tried to clean up what was coming out of the merge by deleting the extra FBX parameters.

Attachments:
HoutoU5Errors.png (3.3 MB)

4 posts
trying to find more info on the Building tool after following project titan tut... very little info and no follow-up on how to improve the base model... like putting vents and extra details... seeing how poor this forum is on reply, just want to share my cry with rest of you who waiting for help for years!!!
1 posts
Im sorry. i found a solution to the problem In new version.
3 posts
dward

When I attach the tool to a model via the world line input, I get my walls all off by 90 degree. I will try to post a screen shot.
Image Not Found

What can I do? In the tutorial, Simon applies a clean to the input, which I did to no real effect. I tried to clean up what was coming out of the merge by deleting the extra FBX parameters.

Same problem.

I have used a normal node and it has partially fixed the issue.

But I have got a lot of error in that module.

It's a bit sad honestly...
255 posts
I open the Labs tool Sop_building_generator4 and start to cry once again...
Hum... What to say?

Sidefx please for god sake, comment and name your networks you are "releasing"!
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
900 posts
Vinnyvince, I now remember I've experienced the very same thing.
I started with a very confident thought: "OK, today I'm going to improve and expand the functionality of the Labs Building Generator."
I dove into the HDA, assessed the situation, and exited 30 seconds later.
900 posts
ps.
To be fair, in the specific case of the Labs Building Generator, what is also daunting (at least for me) is the overall complexity of the network.
In fact, I can see myself still struggling a bit, even if the naming of the nodes were more established.

I must say, it is still very tempting to invest time studying and attempting to refactor it for better cleanliness.
I suppose it's one of those challenging and annoying tasks that improve your expertise as a Technical Artist?
6 posts
I am looking for help using the built in Variations that exist in the more up to date Building Generator Utility for use with the building generator(Not the pattern Version). It's similar to Kristophers finding except it allows the usage of Variations with a weight percentage so you don't get so much randomness. The reason I am interested in this is because the pattern one has problems with corners.
52 posts
Kristopher
I was wondering this myself. Some official video demos from SideFX seemed to hint that this was possible, but I couldn't find any documentation or detail on how to accomplish it. Finally, through some dissecting of the inner workings of the Labs Building Generator SOP I was able to figure it out!

Assuming you have 3 different window panel types you'd like to use, follow these steps...

Using the Labs Building Generator Utility SOP, name each one using the format "Base_Name*Variation_Number". Note, the "*" is important. So your names might be: "Wall*A", "Wall*B", and "Wall*C".

In the Labs Building Generator SOP, set the "Facade Module Pattern" to: "Wall*".

You'll notice that this creates a random pattern using the three wall panels you provided. You can generate a different pattern if you'd like by changing the "Seed" value of the Labs Building Generator SOP.

I have tried to use what you suggest here with the "building_from_patterns" SOP, but it does not work as it is.
The method for this node seems to be slightly different: let say that you have 3 modules for a window,
Window
Window_open
Window_walled
You have to plug each in its own Building Generator Utility
but in the one that stores the main version ("Window" in this case) there you have to add 2 variations (variations 1 and Variation 2) and call them with the correspondent names (so "Window_open" and "Window_walled") no * is required, just that the names are identical. The weight parameter of the variation in comparison to the weight parameter of the main version will define the probability of the variation to appear.
PS: SideFX lab reeeeally should add a couple more lines to that Help File.
Edited by PaoloGiandoso - 2023年11月12日 22:50:07
8 posts
dward

Image Not Found

This issue is still present in version 1.1 (Houdini 20).

Is there any kind of workaround for the instance orientation issue?

If you look here or on discord nobody gets this tool working due to the instance orientation.
An answer by the devs would be highly appreciated.
  • Quick Links