Problem with ram memory usage in Houdini

9275   15   3
7 posts
Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum and I'd like to ask about the ram memory usage.
Two months ago I bought a computer with 64GB RAM.
When I do a geometry cache, render, etc … my RAM ranging from 8-45GB. Sometimes it is limited to 8 and do not understand how this can happen if my computer has 64BG …
I check my cache manager and it's correct.
Please can someone help me?
thank you very much

Attachments:
Captura.PNG (149.3 KB)

443 posts
Houdini uses RAM how much it actually needed.
If you want to utilize full power of your hardware, use linux!
72 posts
PradeepBarua

Of course I think this is just for Win7 and before , Because I heard that RAM management on Win8 is changed and better than Win7 , something like Linux !
7 posts
PradeepBarua

Thank you very much for the reply!
ok, I'll install linux. Which is the best operating system? Ubuntu, Debian…? When I have installed Houdini on Linux, I have to change preferences to utilize full power of the hardware?
7 posts
Jack.N
PradeepBarua

Of course I think this is just for Win7 and before , Because I heard that RAM management on Win8 is changed and better than Win7 , something like Linux !

I've windows8 and the problem persist
1391 posts
All of the distributions are good , But I usually using debian base such as Ubuntu and Mint , Specially Mint , Because they are has perfect GUI and so user friendly 8)

Also reading and writing large files such as caches for simulation is faster than windows :!: (on EX4 partition)
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
166 posts
It uses as much as it needs to. You got it wrong, it's kinda the other way around. The less RAM it uses the better.
443 posts
Which is the best operating system? Ubuntu, Debian…?

It's never answered question. It's depend on your taste. None of them is bad. It's unfair to rank them.
As beginner, you can try with Ubuntu. It have nice support. Personally I prefer Mint over Ubuntu. CentOS is now days very popular, most of the VFX companies using it (mine too). But it's hard to setup for beginners.
Linux has LiveCD, you can try before buy (I mean install because linux is free).

When I have installed Houdini on Linux, I have to change preferences to utilize full power of the hardware?

You need not to do anything. Linux will take care of rest.
4189 posts
Most likely using Linux will result in using less Ram. That is a good thing. Using less Ram means more efficiency or being able to do bigger simulations.
379 posts
You just need to understand how hardware and software works. It will not change anything if you switch to Linux .
7 posts
You've been very helpful for me. Finally, I'll install ubuntu Thank you very much to everybody
1391 posts
robert_rapach
You've been very helpful for me. Finally, I'll install ubuntu Thank you very much to everybody

Before do that , I suggest you to use LIVE CD mode for both Ubuntu and Mint (or even others) , So you don't need to install them on your system.Just test them and see which one is better and simpler for you (my meant is GUI) , Mint and Ubuntu has same core (actually Mint is pretty like Ubuntu in Core , But with different GUI) , Maybe Mint's GUI is better for user who was working with windows before !
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
7 posts
Joker386
robert_rapach

Before do that , I suggest you to use LIVE CD mode for both Ubuntu and Mint (or even others) , So you don't need to install them on your system.Just test them and see which one is better and simpler for you (my meant is GUI) , Mint and Ubuntu has same core (actually Mint is pretty like Ubuntu in Core , But with different GUI) , Maybe Mint's GUI is better for user who was working with windows before !

thats a good idea. I'll keep that in mind! thank you very much
4 posts
SreckoM
You just need to understand how hardware and software works. It will not change anything if you switch to Linux .
Hi,
Could you please elaborate on that a little more, or perhaps point to some resources where I can read/ learn more from the POV of utilization of max resources while doing sims in Houdini (especially flips/ fem).

Thanks
m.
7737 posts
demoan666
SreckoM
Hi,
Could you please elaborate on that a little more, or perhaps point to some resources where I can read/ learn more from the POV of utilization of max resources while doing sims in Houdini (especially flips/ fem).

Thanks
m.

Why do you want to use MORE resources? Generally in computer science, the aim is to strive for less.
330 posts
The confusion is that the OP seems to think Houdini is under-utilising the available hardware. It didn't help that the immediate response was to switch to Linux. Objectively, yes, Houdini under Linux can potentially squeeze more out of your existing hardware, but in this specific situation, Houdini doesn't need to use all the available RAM to do its work. It is using as much as it needs, or as much as the node graph you have built can use. What @SreckoM said, switching to Linux for this particular case won't make any difference to you, in terms of Houdini using RAM.
  • Quick Links