Ground Collapse

4033   4   0
53 posts
Hey guys just wanted to share my latest personal project that I finished.

https://vimeo.com/160723071 [vimeo.com]

My aim with this one was to challenge myself to complete a shot that incorporates RBD, particles and smoke. Inspired by the awesome ground collapse shot in the halo 5 teaser trailer, I tried to do something similar in scale. All h15, rendered in Mantra and comped in fusion.

Thanks for reading and watching hopefully!

BTW the attached pic is just clipped from vimeo as the video links don't auto embed, just wanted to add something visual to the post!

Attachments:
12894430_10154113795066554_1083700026_o.jpg (52.9 KB)

www.carlocarfora.co.uk [www.carlocarfora.co.uk]
349 posts
Pretty impressive. I like the way the shattering is not uniform. The main thing that sticks out to me is the sandy coloured ground and the smoke sim being dark grey. Colors need to match. Also the smoke sim only really kicks in after the shattered elements hit the floor. If there was an underground collapse/earthquake to set this off, the smoke would emit much earlier?

Looking good.
53 posts
Hello thanks for replying and watching!

I revisited this with a few crits from others too, the smoke colour being one of them. Here's the updated video link in case you or anyone else get a moment to watch it

https://vimeo.com/163508360 [vimeo.com]
1755 posts
I was clicking on that play button in the attached image getting more and more frustrated with every click…

The sim looks cool. I don't have a sense a scale since there's no familiar object in the scene, but if it's as big as I think it is, I think the dust rises a bit too fast. I'm no sim guru, so take this with the usual grain of salt.
53 posts
Oops sorry for the misleading image! ops:

Thanks for the input, I think you are probably right. I could have added some trees or something for scale and looking at it now I probably should have. Will definitely remember this for next time!
  • Quick Links