Parenting Digital Assets

3709   5   3
2 posts
Hey!

I have created a Digital Asset for a fully rigged aircraft in Houdini 11. I was wondering if there is anyway the Asset can be parented to another geometry and animated with it. The asset has minimum inputs of 0 and maximum inputs of 1. It is created in the Geometry mode.

I have attached a screenshot to show the asset.

Thank you!
Jan

Attachments:
Screenshot-1.png (167.2 KB)

2624 posts
Yes of course. Handy expressions like opinputpath , opoutputpath , opinput , opoutput all come in very handy also.

Rob
Gone fishing
2 posts
Thanks Rob!!

I was wondering why the standard parenting method (connecting the two nodes) does not work for Digital Assets? The asset has an input node inside as well.

Thanks
Jan
Staff
2540 posts
Tough to know what you want. I think you want to have a geometry constraint for your asset. If so, you can use a Rivet Object then parent your asset to the Rivet Object.

Fyi, every Subnet Object has a Subnet Folder and contains a parameter called “Output Transform” and defaults to “Input Object 1”. This means that all objects inside the subnet will follow the object wired in to the first input of your subnet (asset). You can change this to any input or any object inside your asset.
There's at least one school like the old school!
2624 posts
Sometimes I leave the asset alone and use a combination of the fetch node & the above expressions. Just depends on the job and the state of what I am receiving asset wise.

Rob
Gone fishing
339 posts
Apologies if this is too basic but inside your Asset are the inputs hooked into your contained objects? If you collapse an unconnected object into a subnet it does not automatically connect these guys up.

Attachments:
panel1.png (26.9 KB)

Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
  • Quick Links