OSX?

4921   5   0
6 posts
Has anyone heard anything about Houdini being ported to OSX?

Anyone?

:?
wood is good
710 posts
If you read the mail archives there are some very recent posts about it. Seems that unless a major studio asks for it, they are not going to waste any resources on an OSX port.
4140 posts
Perhaps a more diplomatic word instead of “waste” might be “spend”.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
710 posts
Yeah, waste kinda makes it sound like OSX sucks or something, but I just meant that there doesn't seem to be much demand for Houdini on OSX from current commercial users, so why “spend” the resources.
Are Solaris and IRIX versions still in the future or have they been officially canned? That would be sad, but I guess on the plus side it's a bit (or a lot?) easier for sesi having to focus only on Win and Linux versions.
12 posts
Well what do you suppose is the threshold? Maybe SESI doesn't know how many OSX users are interested because nobody is speaking up.
4140 posts
I think it's been mentioned on a couple of occasions that they're probably waiting more for a large shop or two to ask for it, rather than 10 or 20 voices in the wilderness. It's amazing the difference that can make.

While I'm personally not wanted this(due to diversion of limited resources away from Linux ), fear not - there are a handful of people inside SESI that are big OSX fans so I'm sure they're putting a good word in whenever they can.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links