Becoming Houdini master

3126   3   0
2 posts
Hi guys i have no skills in 3d i am mostly graphic designer but i am planing to get in to 3d mostly film visual effects. I have done my research and i would like to work for a big studio helping to create big block buster effects. I believe that Houdini would take me to that direction but i understand there is big learning curve. I am not afraid of that what i am afraid of is the amount of time that it would take me to be good enough to work for one of those studios. I am father of twins 3 week old girls i am 31 and i am planing to devote 3 years of self learning Houdini. Where i live right now there are no 3d schools. So i was thinking going with fxphd and cmivfx. I am interested. So my question is how would you guys approach this I am thinking learning the real world phenomenon, such as gas, fire water, gravity and so on with heavy dose of Python and c++.

Any insight would help.
Thanks
2624 posts
I am not afraid of that what i am afraid of is the amount of time that it would take me to be good enough to work for one of those studios.

That's a tough question that really depends on you . I would skip the C++ and Python and get the basics nailed first. Houdini does an awful lot out of the box without the need for C++ and python.

Start here
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1587&Itemid=333 [sidefx.com]

r
Gone fishing
242 posts
A tip on the way.

Keep it simple while learning. To many have got tired and lost motivation when they discover how time consuming it is to pull of that…(insert huge effect of choice).
Edited by - Sept. 5, 2011 13:46:14
102 posts
To many have got tired and lost motivation when they discover how time consuming it was to pull of that…(insert huge effect of choice).

Been there, done that
Yeah that's a great advice
  • Quick Links