need idea for tree texture/shader!!!!

13888   13   2
17 posts
I've got a nice tree that needs a nice texture (realistic). Other than making one in VOPS I really can't come up with any ideas. So I thought I would try and ask you wonderful, beautiful people (sucking up, yes!). I don't think using a texture map would work but if I'm wrong let me know. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
710 posts
Ok, this render finished just a few hours ago. It's not your average tree, but I think maybe something like the texture on the trunk is what your after (minus the spikes of course)? Maybe not, depends on the tree I guess. Anyways, it's basically a UV Noise VOP plugged into a Cellular Noise VOP. Let me know if you want a more detailed explanation.

330 posts
i think this is a good question. use the stripes vop and give it some noise somehow?

only useful thing i can suggest is use displacement for the roughness of the bark, houdini's displacement rocks - it's as fast as a bump map in other apps.

edit: beaten by DaJuice, scary looking tree. cool though!
170 posts
Wow man!
Cool tree!
Is that a chestnut? Maybe a tinsy-minsy mutated?
The Things I Do For Love!
17 posts
I am currently working on the VOPS idea. Thanks a lot for your help. I will see what I can make it look like and tell you if I have anymore questions. Thanks again!
17 posts
I can already tell I might need more of an explanation to the VOPS idea. Haven't done much with displacements in VOPS. A good explanation would be awesome! That tree is reallly swell!!! Yup swell!
Cheers
1631 posts
Hey DaJuice,

Sweeeeet looking tree!

Cheers!
steven
710 posts
Thanks guys.
Foxter, the network looks like this…

Does that clear things up a little?
330 posts
To Dajuice and anyone else how could you make a basic brown colour on which you can add cell noise and all the patterns to build up a bark colour channel? there is no colour VOP on which to base the shader. there is as color map VOP but looks the same as a texture map VOP. i want to use full procedurals if i can.

ive also wanted to make a basic painted metal texture, e.g. surface of a tank, but been stuck at the same stage.. colour channel

just asking for an idea for a starting point, not ‘plz do it for me and post here’
412 posts
hey mark2,

i think what you're looking for is the color mix vop.. you can plug in your cell noise into the bias param of the color mix vop and make your colors whatever you want…
Dave Quirus
330 posts
colour mix of course - for a base colour. doh. i didnt know you could plug patterns into bias though - thanks
7725 posts
In general, you can connect any output to an input if it has the same colour. If it has different colours, then you can usually use one of the VOPs in the Convert menu as an intermediary. As to whether it makes sense to do so however, is a whole different story.
17 posts
Thanks Juice! It's starting to make sense to me now. This is only the third VOPS shader I've tried doing so I apologize if you had to “do it for me and post here.” :shock:
Cheers!
330 posts
hehe foxster i said that because i ask too many questions already- you are fine for a while
  • Quick Links