New HDK Documentation

21430   9   0
Staff
1182 posts

As many of you know, the Houdini Developer’s Kit is a comprehensive set of C++ libraries which give studios and third party developers access to Houdini's API. Instead of being limited to a subset of the API like most SDKs, the HDK provides virtually the same level of access available to Side Effects developers.

With the HDK, you can create plug-ins to customize virtually all aspects of Houdini. Some examples include:

- add custom expression functions
- add custom commands to hscript or hython
- add custom operators (SOPs, DOPs, POPs, etc)
- add output to 3rd party renderer, geometry or games engine
- add custom lighting or atmospheric effects

The new HDK docs were written with a practical philosophy in mind. First they identify the main task a programmer would encounter when customizing Houdini using C++, eg: data I/O, creating new operators, extending the UI, rendering. Next, each process is explained in-depth and well-documented sample code is provided to illustrate the application of key concepts. Node organization in Houdini is then discussed along with how to work with nodes and their parameters, and how to create new nodes in each of Houdini's operator contexts. The new docs also cover the main HDK classes such as OP_Network and SOP_Node, as well as, important utility classes such as Houdini’s very efficient Matrix classes, Multithreading classes and Vector Math (VM) classes.

Our developers have been working hard to make this material available and will continue to add to and enhance this material over time. With so many studios looking for ways to incorporate Houdini into their pipeline, these new HDK docs will play a key role in that process.

To access the new docs, visit http://www.sidefx.com/docs [sidefx.com]

Enjoy,
Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
8 posts
This is really great! Thank you!
28 posts
damn great… now i will find myself programing c++ in houdini like crazy…

i hope this brings a lot of plug ins from third parties for houdini.

why not vue, fume fx, mental ray, ect…
28 posts
damn great… now i will find myself programing c++ in houdini like crazy…

i hope this brings a lot of plug ins from third parties for houdini.

why not vue, fume fx, mental ray, ect…
128 posts
I don't believe in third-party plugins for Houdini. Some builds are incompatible, it makes troubles for support and distribution.
Anything that flies
Staff
4164 posts
Periodically, the HDK documentation will become unavailable. Would it be possible to include the Doxygen-generated docs with the Houdini install as well? That would be really helpful when the HDK docs online aren't working, or when internet connection is spotty.

Thanks!
I'm o.d.d.
4 posts
The HDK documentation is unavailable. I'll try later I hope

IDFour
28 posts
Any chance to get it as download version I would like to read it on my ebook reader if it is possible.
678 posts
sabotage3d
Any chance to get it as download version I would like to read it on my ebook reader if it is possible.

Try this http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk12.0/download/hdk12.0_docs.tar.gz [sidefx.com].

I modified link that I had for H11 and it works also for H12. Just replaced 11.1 with 12.0.
54 posts
mantragora
sabotage3d

Try this http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk12.0/download/hdk12.0_docs.tar.gz [sidefx.com].

I modified link that I had for H11 and it works also for H12. Just replaced 11.1 with 12.0.

Perfect thanks for this
  • Quick Links