Alembic slow playback

16987   16   3
949 posts
I know there are a lot of theads about this issue but I think this one is kind of specific, let me know if someone else already post about it.

I am trying to export some geometry from maya 2013 to Houdini 12.0.581 through alembic format which works really fine, everything there is as it should be but, there is always a but, the playback is really slow comparing to Maya which is in realtime, even saving everything as a bgeo it is still the same.

Anyone had this problem? Is it a problem or not?

Thanks.
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
Staff
3455 posts
could be a graphics card issue…
I know that using the H11 settings is slower than GL3.2
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
949 posts
Thanks for the feedback,

I dont think it is because I am already using H11 options and everything else except for the playback is working fine, no slow down, if I save to disk each bgeo get to be 19MB maybe a loading issue?
949 posts
Any Advices in what I should do in Maya before export, maybe some kind of clean up?

Scene with shaders can be a problem?
949 posts
I did cleaned up my object rig in Maya and now is much better, I combined several objects into one large piece and now after exporting playing it is not so slow, I think it's twice faster than before but when I object merge them and try to save it all as a bgeo it becomes much slower again, Anyone had this problem before?
29 posts
mzigaib
I did cleaned up my object rig in Maya and now is much better, I combined several objects into one large piece and now after exporting playing it is not so slow, I think it's twice faster than before but when I object merge them and try to save it all as a bgeo it becomes much slower again, Anyone had this problem before?

Hello,

When you import in Houdini cleanup all attributes and then object merge.
another option try the latest Houdini version.

Sunday, May 20, 2012
Houdini 12.0.632: try out this version this might fix some problems

are you using Alembic SOP or Alembic Archive ?

Harsh Mistry
Harsh Mistri
Effects TD
Method Studio Vancouver
13 posts
I am having the same trouble with the alembic octopus example scene - I can barely even tumble the camera in Houdini, yet it plays black smoothly and flawlessly in Maya. I'm using OS X Lion, Houdini 12, and Maya 2012.

Does anyone have any advice?
29 posts
dangerweenie
I am having the same trouble with the alembic octopus example scene - I can barely even tumble the camera in Houdini, yet it plays black smoothly and flawlessly in Maya. I'm using OS X Lion, Houdini 12, and Maya 2012.

Try importing like this >> Geometry > Alembic SOP and read alembic file.
another way Alembic Archive (Slow because its going to generate hierarchy)
and
Which version of Houdini 12 are you using ?
Harsh Mistri
Effects TD
Method Studio Vancouver
13 posts
Using Houdini 12 production and daily build.

I did the Alembic SOP, it's a bit faster, but I'm still getting about 1-3 FPS in the viewport whereas in Maya I'm getting ~ 10FPS playback in the viewport.

Mac Pro 4,1 16 GB RAM + ATI Radeon 5870 on OS X Lion.

Thanks for the reply.

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

and
29 posts
dangerweenie

I did the Alembic SOP, it's a bit faster, but I'm still getting about 1-3 FPS in the viewport whereas in Maya I'm getting ~ 10FPS playback in the viewport.

Thanks for the reply.

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

and

I am using 12.0.634 and its working fine.
I can easily scrub through timeline
Harsh Mistri
Effects TD
Method Studio Vancouver
13 posts
Interesting. Are you on OS X? What kind of machine / video card?

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

Thanks for the reply.

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

and

13 posts
What is your FPS? This is what I have with 12.0.634

see attached screenshot

dangerweenie

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

Thanks for the reply.

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

and

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2012-05-23 at 7.36.23 PM.png (174.0 KB)

29 posts
dangerweenie
What is your FPS? This is what I have with 12.0.634

see attached screenshot

dangerweenie

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

Thanks for the reply.

hcmistryvfx
dangerweenie

and

When i play in view-port its around 9 to 10 FPS.
Harsh Mistri
Effects TD
Method Studio Vancouver
Staff
5161 posts
You can turn off Polygon Convexing (display options, Geometry tab) for models that are known to be properly convexed, and this will improve playback (mileage will vary depending on the geometry). For me, it about doubled the playback rate of the octopus file.
13 posts
twod
You can turn off Polygon Convexing (display options, Geometry tab) for models that are known to be properly convexed, and this will improve playback (mileage will vary depending on the geometry). For me, it about doubled the playback rate of the octopus file.

Hmm, I turned polygon convexing off, also put LOD down to .1 in the viewport settings, still getting max framerate of ~ 4fps.

Do you think this will get better in Mountain Lion? Or is it time for a new computer?
949 posts
Hi a little update,

If I import fbx I got a much faster fps on my system, I have a theory, it seems that if you have a lot of pieces, in my case a chopper with lot of separated pices controled by a rig in Maya, if you export as Alembic it is slow because it seems that every piece needs to read the geometry cache in disk for every frame and in fbx you just load the geometry once and the rest is just animation curves, but I can be wrong.

Another issue is if I merge all togheter and try to save a single piece as a bgeo it becomes slower than the fbx again.

Besides that Alembic really works well.
Staff
5161 posts
dangerweenie
Hmm, I turned polygon convexing off, also put LOD down to .1 in the viewport settings, still getting max framerate of ~ 4fps.

The LOD only controls tessellation of implicit surfaces, like NURBS, bezier, metaballs and primitive objects (sphere, tube, circle). Since this scene is all polygons, adjusting the LOD will not help.

We are doing some optimization in this area, so don't throw out the Mac just yet
  • Quick Links