fluid project simulation rudder

4292   5   0
19 posts
Hello,
I have a Technical question about a fluids.
For my costumer he wants a simulation for his rudder.
He likes to see when the rudder is tuned, how the water is reacting.
I was thing about to set it up with “emit particle fluid” but maybe this isn’t the best approach.
Is the someone how can give a tip for the best way to do this?
I would be very thankful

Ton

Attachments:
Dolphin 2DWK + STG - 3 - leaflet aug. 2010.png (782.9 KB)

Staff
3456 posts
have a look at this waterfall tutorial
http://vimeo.com/39835049 [vimeo.com]
you can adapt it to use a very simple channel of water, then just add your rudder geometry and see what happens
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
Staff
2540 posts
All you need is a simple Pyro sim with no density emission with just the velocity and render it as streamers.

The Smoke Object DOP has a setting for a wind tunnel which works fine for this. Just blow velocity over the fan blades. Add a bit of Vortex Confinement.

To do a more realistic CFD fluid simulation and not the inaccuracy you can usually get away with in smoke, pyro explosions and general water sims, you will need to either slow the fluid velocity down or increase the number of sub steps, or both.

I found that with this simulation, if I slow the fluid velocity to 0.02 with a substep at the top DOP Network Object set at the default of 1, the fluid flows around my crappy vanes pretty well and you get a nice increase in flow between the two vanes and it tends to shear interestingly as the fluid is released from the vane.

To render the velocity trails, I added a few ideas in there for you to have a look at. The width attribute is used to control the ribbon width.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
foil_rudder_smoke_sim.hip (1.9 MB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
19 posts
Thank you very much for your support.

I will show you the results if you like
19 posts
Thanks Jeff, It is impressing.

I have to study your setup very closely.
I am looking at the tutorial from the waterfall and I was thinking about to combine them, the steam animation and the water simulation.
If I have a question, may I ask it?
Staff
2540 posts
Ask away!
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links