Houdini 13 Wishlist.

155989   209   0
197 posts
dulo
Packaged numpy, scipy and PIL on windows built in python distributions !

Sounds like gibberish to me, care to elaborate?
330 posts
hi ,

numpy, scipy and PIL are 'python* packages' usually downloaded from other sources / websites . later installed and configured by user themselves and accompanied by random failures .

dulo , is wishing for those to be installed and configured during Houdini 's self installation process .

oc , i agree with him .

* www.python.org
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
383 posts
zarti
hi ,

numpy, scipy and PIL are 'python* packages' usually downloaded from other sources / websites . later installed and configured by user themselves and accompanied by random failures .

dulo , is wishing for those to be installed and configured during Houdini 's self installation process .

oc , i agree with him .

* www.python.org
Exactly what I meant. Before H12 it was quite a pain to get those libs running under windows because you had to compile those libs on your own with a stale VC8 compiler and install them on the Houdini internal python distribution. With H12 its a little bit easier because the original python2.6 compiler now is equal to the H12 compile ( VC9) so you can use prebuilt packages for windows but for beginners its not very easy to install those packages in a way that houdini can use them because Houdini does not use “system python” installations ..
Also you cant really use those libs in orbolt assets if you can not be shure that people have those libs on their Houdini installations .. imagine having numpy and PIL it would be a matter of minutes to build a custom COP operater in python .. I use it all the time for vector field manipulations for example ( scipy ) ..
Edited by - Aug. 16, 2012 11:06:28
www.woogieworks.at
330 posts
dulo

Also you cant really use those libs in orbolt assets if you can not be shure that people have those libs on their Houdini installations ..

agree . thats another very valid point too .

.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
43 posts
I`d like to have one little, but handy feature like smart path finder for textures or another files. I believe that many peoples are keep their projects organised and textures are placed in “sourceimages” folder, inside project folder, like Maya style. So it would be nice to have a “$HIP\sourceimages\blabla.rat” instead of full path. It`ll make projects easier to move. Because now you have to change is by hands. Or am I miss something and we already have it?
197 posts
You can create your own custom variable declarations inside of houdiini, than you and your collaborates declare it and use it in place of $HIP, it could be called $TEXTUREDIR, or whatever.
10 posts
1. Easy to use: Sculpting system with micro-displacement support (texture displacement support). (Modo & Cinema 4D has quite good sculpting tools, maybe modo will inspire with features and Cinema 4D will inspire with easy of use)

2. Also sculpting would need good re-topology tools.

3. Powerful Modo kind of Texturing/painting system, or Bodypaint 3D kind of tools. And easy to use.

4. New polygonal modelling tools and workflow.
(Cinema 4D has good modelling workflow - it's very easy & fast to use)

I am quite sure that others have already requested some modelling features, so i trust them.

5. Meshfilter / passive points?

MeshFilter: This kind of thing for Houdini
http://youtu.be/iAJzZ00La6Q?hd=1&t=9m37s [youtu.be]

It will give possibility to use softbody features in rigged characters, this will allow realistic bat wings and other skin effects, like very fat stomach or neck.

6. Collision deformer (Cinema 4D has good and fast collision deformer)

7. Skin sliding & pull with skin self-collision

8. fStretch2 is very useful for character animators,
something like this should be inside houdini:
http://vimeo.com/21317049 [vimeo.com]

That kind of system would probably need also
good sculpting system with texture displacement.

I'm very sorry if this kind of features are already included to Houdini. This is very new software to me. If these all are already possible, let me know.

kind regards, Jumaku
197 posts

It will give possibility to use softbody features in rigged characters, this will allow realistic bat wings and other skin effects, like very fat stomach or neck.

Have you watched Cmivfx's video on procedural animation techniques? They show a method of creating a jelly fish that would be well suited to bats,
You could make a custom Wire solver setup, or cloth set up relatively easily as well.

The other stuff doesn't sound like the Houdini way of doing stuff, so I wouldn't be too sure sidefx would want to implement it. We'll see.

Video: http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/250/Houdini+Procedural+Animation+Techniques [cmivfx.com]
242 posts
jumaku

You can do maps for all cloth attributes. You can also use the pintoanimation attribute to exclude(passive) points to the solve. The best thing is that you can update them procedurally on the fly.
Have a look at the cloth object help card. All paintable attributes are listed there.
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.1/nodes/dop/clothobject [sidefx.com]

Edit.
I forgot my wish.
Keep on the same track we are heading with h12 and we shall all be happy.
102 posts
replace photons with lightcache
197 posts
qbick
You already said this.
102 posts
Delight0092
qbick
You already said this.
damn you're right.
i thought this was another topic, sorry
197 posts
qbick
Delight0092
qbick
You already said this.
damn you're right.
i thought this was another topic, sorry

You've got nothing to apologist for, you put out some good points, just letting you know.
69 posts
an upgrade I would find interesting would be wireFrameSubdiv and shaded wireFrameSubdiv display option added to scene view.
217 posts
-working pose library!
7 posts
this is a easy one…. More options to Align Pivot.(local, world, screen, normal, parent)
and more needed…the SNAP TO CENTEROID option on the “edit” node. it currently exists on the Transform (xform) but not the edit.

thanks
- (ニック)
35 posts
what about adding Multi Physics stuff??
10 posts
I would like to add one thing, which would be most important feature suggestion from me - for new users.

Second “workflow & User interface” option. User friendly and easy to use interface / workflow for new or “lazy” users .

I would take inspiration from Maxon Cinema 4D's interface and workflow, it's very easy to use and most user friendly 3D-software.
I would take inspiration from Cinema 4D's way to use short keys in modelling process, animation process, and especially way how Cinema 4D's “tree view” show the polygon object inside hypernurbs object and tags which are telling that what simulation tools or weightmapping or vertexpoints the polygonal object includes. All this would increase the modelling and animation speed, a lot.

At the moment i always lose my targets because of Houdini's messy Tree view and Node view, and they are messy because they do have lots of stuff and the demonstration of that stuff is quite messy for me because i am very new user for Houdini.

After testing Houdini all i can say is that: Houdini has great and amazing simulation, animation, rendering and modelling tools - all most everything i can imagine. But the interface and workflow is too slow and messy for me. That's why i would like to suggest the second option for interface/workflow menu for new users.

Sure Houdini should keep the original interface/workflow for old users but i would love to see the second option too.

kind regards, Jumaku
10 posts
mawi
jumaku

You can do maps for all cloth attributes. You can also use the pintoanimation attribute to exclude(passive) points to the solve. The best thing is that you can update them procedurally on the fly.
Have a look at the cloth object help card. All paintable attributes are listed there.
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.1/nodes/dop/clothobject [sidefx.com]

Edit.
I forgot my wish.
Keep on the same track we are heading with h12 and we shall all be happy.
Sorry, i just told all my wishes that i can imagine without testing that are they already possible. Thanks for the link.

I am very new user with Houdini, just testing the Demo. And now i can say that Houdini's biggest problem is user interface / workflow. Or maybe procedural modelling and animation isn't just for me
575 posts
mh, I think You should give youself a real chance to get used to the houdini interface and workflow. Once You are used to it You don't want to miss it. The node view is one if it's key features. You will never look back to cinema, Don't make the mistake to expcect houdini to be a better cinema, it is different and that's great.
  • Quick Links