Problem with openining tiff sequence in AE

21570   12   0
4 posts
Hello all, I recently downloaded the free learning version of the Houdini software. I am following a project that requires Houdini, however when I get to the part where I need After Effects I get this error when I try to open the Houdini Rendered .tiff sequences. after effects: aegp plugin tiffio: error reading tiff data ( 5027 :: 12) Is there something I am doing wrong or can this be resolved? I tried to get an answer from the people who did the tutorial but they had no answer for me. Any help would be appreciative. The project by the way is the Ghostbusters' proton stream, the four part tutorial can be found on youtube.com by searing proton stream or authority fx. Thanks!
8587 posts
try using 16bit integer instead of 16/32bit float (Mantra/Properties/Output/Quantization)
but in that case be careful that all your values are in 0-1 range too prevent loss of information

or try different tiff compression (Mantra/Properties/Output Options)
or different file type (png, exr, tga, …)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
4 posts
I will try the 16 bit integer, haven't tried it yet. Ive tried other compression types and file types, still with the same results. Could it be perhaps that it is the free edition of houdini apprentice that I am using?
7727 posts
If you're saving in .tiff from Apprentice, then it will be watermarked. I forget whether there is a resolution limit when doing so as well, which may explain the behaviour. However, it might be just that AE doesn't support 16-bit float TIFF files? I just noticed that on my Windows 8 machine, Picasa doesn't work with my Houdini commercial edition 16-bit float TIFF output while Windows Photo Viewer did!
258 posts
There are no issues with 16bit tiff's in AE.
4 posts
Yeah I know about the water mark, but the way the tutorial is setup and how everything gets rendered out, there is a three separte images that need to be rendered, so along with the .tif sequence that has all there layers as one, i have no trouble with in after effects, that loads up correctly with no problem. It is only when I try to load up the seperated sequences its giving me with .tiff error. Ive followed all 4 parts of the tutorial ver batem and only have trouble when i get to the After Effects compositing. But there is something going wrong with the seperate rendered out sequences and Im not sure what else it could be which is frustrating lol.
Staff
5161 posts
Can you run iinfo on one of the images and post the results?
4 posts
How would I go about running info on the .tiff file? sorry i'm new at this.
205 posts
I got a similar problem here. But only with greyscale images (like Pz).

Is it possible that ae can't understand non-RGB tiff files from houdini? Since the Pz pass (greyscale) throws an error, but even 32 bit rgb renders don't.

I'll contact support…
181 posts
A colorspace issue sounds like a reasonable explanation. After Effects can have difficulty with some CMYK images, for example.

http//forums.adobe.com/message/3683310

Attachments:
ae_cmyk_tiff.png (15.2 KB)

Staff
5161 posts
Perhaps Adobe TIFF support doesn't include greyscale images. Have you tried contacting Adobe support, or posting a topic on this on the Adobe forums? We don't have a formal relationship with Adobe.
2 posts
A simple trick is to batch rename everything that is .tiff to .tif

The newer AE reads these as two different things and I've fixed many problems going from Houdini to AE by just doing this.
205 posts
Hm.
Doesn't work for me. I use AE CS5, though.
  • Quick Links