Dem data - geotifs

6279   8   0
5 posts
Hi

Anybody know of a tutorial on how to import dem data or geotifs in houdini to create realistic maps -

Failing that, does anybody know how to do it?

Many thanks

Jake
7735 posts
I've never tried but perhaps this mailing list thread may help you:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_mailarchive&Itemid=212&view=IDX&exactsubject= [sidefx.com]%20importing%20dem%20data&perpage=20&revdate=off
5 posts
Thanks Edward I'll give them a look
101 posts
Hey Edward is this Mail List very active?
7735 posts
Sty
Hey Edward is this Mail List very active?

It's active, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic these days. I think a lot of it moved over into the forums.
101 posts
i see…i subscribed and nothing until now
7735 posts
Sty

There's been no posts. You can always see the web archive here (and note the sparsity of the traffic)

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_mailarchive&Itemid=212 [sidefx.com]
1631 posts
Handling geotiffs is reasonably easy.. they are in fact just tiffs with a bit of additional metadata.

It depends on how they are made, but usually they contain a simple height map representation of the surface, with the values in meters.

If you look at them with a viewer like xnview they will most likely look 100% white, depending on where the snippet is from, the expected values are something like 100 to 4000 for the Swiss Alps for example.

So you can either:

- use a tool to convert the range (I use Nuke for that, but you can use all sorts of tools) to 0-1
- leave the range as it is and deal with it in the displacement shader

You would then convert the tiff to a .rat (using the normal iconvert workflow, like “$ iconvert alps.tiff alps.rat”), put down a grid in houdini and use the .rat you just made as a displacement map.

Either way, if you left the values like they are or converted them to 0-1, you will have to take care of the overall scale yourself (so that the height matches the grid length)

For a quick viewport preview, you can sample the map in VOPs and just push up the grid points accordingly.

One thing you have to remember: most geotiffs I encountered don't clip at the sea level, but include underwater scenery.. so if you want to have a flat water surface, you might want to clamp it at some point.

That's basically it.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
101 posts
edward
Sty

There's been no posts. You can always see the web archive here (and note the sparsity of the traffic)

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_mailarchive&Itemid=212 [sidefx.com]

Oh man, thanx again..i thought i was going to receive email notifications for every new post

• Quick Links