Is Houdini the right fit for me?

4238   8   1
2 posts
I'm just beginning my journey with 3D graphics and I wonder if learning Houdini is the right choice?

I've been browsing the forum and I get the impression that Houdini is used more for creating special effects for models created in other programs.

Is modeling and all the other stuff in Houdini somehow different therefore results are worse?

At some point I'd like to create some short movie scenes from ground up in one program before learning all the other tools and I'm starting to have second thoughts about Houdini.

Maya also seems to have more tutorials and is widely used in industry which would make finding a job in the future much easier I think?

I like the fact that Houdini offers free learning license so that I don't have to pay extra money for learning, but maybe I should pay for Maya and get the whole package?

I want to work with movies if that's any help. I saw Houdini reels and they are awesome but I wonder if the models were made with Houdini or it's just the effects and animation/models were done in Maya?

I'm really confused, I'm willing to invest money and time but at this point I'm really not sure if I'm betting on the right horse.
3 posts
Hey!

I've been using Maya for a few years now and consider it a good program. I just recently began using Houdini a few weeks ago and love it compared to Maya currently. Each package has its own benefits.

Are you currently a student? If so Autodesk offers almost all of their programs with free educational licenses at students.autodesk.com. Blender's an excellent program to use, it's free as well (blender.org).

While Maya is an industry standard 3D package, in reality it's knowing what you're doing more than knowing a certain program. Modeling is modeling no matter how you look at it; polygons, edges, vertices, faces… all universally the same. It's just the tools you use to make the final product. Some are easier and stronger than others, but that's almost personal preference.

I definitely think learning Houdini is hugely beneficial! Good luck!
32 posts
onesadlittleboy
I'm just beginning my journey with 3D graphics and I wonder if learning Houdini is the right choice?

I've been browsing the forum and I get the impression that Houdini is used more for creating special effects for models created in other programs.

Is modeling and all the other stuff in Houdini somehow different therefore results are worse?

At some point I'd like to create some short movie scenes from ground up in one program before learning all the other tools and I'm starting to have second thoughts about Houdini.

Maya also seems to have more tutorials and is widely used in industry which would make finding a job in the future much easier I think?

I like the fact that Houdini offers free learning license so that I don't have to pay extra money for learning, but maybe I should pay for Maya and get the whole package?

I want to work with movies if that's any help. I saw Houdini reels and they are awesome but I wonder if the models were made with Houdini or it's just the effects and animation/models were done in Maya?

I'm really confused, I'm willing to invest money and time but at this point I'm really not sure if I'm betting on the right horse.

It's true that Houdini got a bad reputation for modelling and is predominantly used for visual effect, but bear in mind that in a big movie production is really rare to use just one 3D pacakge. The visual effects are broken down and are often allocated to different studios, so one could for example end up working on a specific effect of a specific part of a movie after being given models and other layout resources.
If you want to go for movie production and are interested in the development of visual effects, I would say Houdini is the right choice.
2 posts
Thank you guys for all the replies.

I'm not a student yet, but I am willing to pay the money for the software if necessary (of course I'd rather save that for something else )

I do understand how movie making process goes and that they usually use wide range of software but for starters I'd want to focus on one to get better at the basics which I think apply universally and aren't really software specific.

The reason I'm asking is that in order to get to the Film School (Visual Effects & Animation) I need to create a short movie and I'm trying to find the best solution to produce a quality product.
I have 8 months for this so I'll have the time to cover the basics and maybe some of the more advanced stuff to use for my movie.
I don't have time to learn several programs at once so I need to find best solution that will ensure me getting to college and hopefully impressing the judges

I was thinking of combining regular movie shot with Nikon at 1080p and a Houdini render.
I'm going to do everything in Houdini, models, animation etc. and I'd like for you guys to reassure me that this is the right choice (ie Houdini capable of doing it). I'd really not want to hit a wall when I'm already halfway there and can't go back because maybe there are things Houdini can't do that I'm not aware of yet because simply I don't know the topic well enough to be the judge for myself.

In no way do I mean to bash Houdini, I think it's amazing tool for professionals and that's why it is my first choice, but is it the right one?

I hope so.

Any opinions would be really appreciated on this :wink:
205 posts
Another thing to consider could be houdini's built-in node based compositor. Feature-wise it can't compete with nuke, but hey it's there with no extra cost…
258 posts
if you are freshly starting out, start with Houdini, because it will be harder to switch from Maya later on.
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
31 posts
Please, read here “old schools” post:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/17105-short-and-sweet-op-centric-lessons/ [forums.odforce.net]
637 posts
@acaiborka

thank you for that post…. it's a pleasure to read the “old school” post… :-)
  • Quick Links