$WEDGE unknown

4607   6   2
14 posts
I'm currently trying to use a wedge and geometry rop to write my particle sim to disk. However when I'm trying to use $WEDGE in the naming, it just turns red and it seems there is no wedge variable (see image).
I've also tried underscores and also {$WEDGE} but it doesn't work. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've used a tutorial by Peter Quint for this setup and after checking about 10 times, I'm pretty sure I am setting it up the same way.

Any ideas?

I'm working with version 12.5.427

Attachments:
wedgeFaal.jpg (289.9 KB)

showreel: https://vimeo.com/79698203 [vimeo.com]
184 posts
${WEDGE} ?
14 posts
No doesn't work either.

Because I'm only working with just a few random seeds I'm using the channel right now, that does seem to save the wedges in different files. Though I still don't get why it doesn't understand $WEDGE
showreel: https://vimeo.com/79698203 [vimeo.com]
47 posts
Well, its been 4 years, and now this problem has happened to me. Don't know if jenneh ever found a solution, but this is my first time using wedging, and I do not seem to have that $WEDGE variable either.

I'm in the /out context and on a geometry node. I'm trying to create cache directories based on the wedge number. In the output file parameter, if I type $WEDGE, it does not evaluate to anything. If I type it and middle click the parameter name, it evaluates to nothing. Also, if I just type $, a dropdown appears of available variables. Neither WEDGE not WEDGENUM are in there.

Any ideas as to why I do not have access to these variables? I'm on Houdini 16.5.439.

Attachments:
wedge.JPG (37.7 KB)

7813 posts
There is no such global variable as ‘WEDGE’ or ‘WEDGENUM’, that's why it doesn't exist. When running wedges using the wedge rop, a script sets the value before rendering each wedge. Until the script runs, the variables won't exist, and houdini won't know anything about them. If you want the ‘preview’ a wedge, in your interactive session, you can set the variable to some value using the textport.

run the “set” command in your textport to set the wedge value to something:

set -g WEDGE=mywedge0
set -g WEDGENUM=0
Edited by jsmack - May 24, 2018 23:53:08
47 posts
Thank you jsmack
5 posts
For future people looking for solutions to this, you can also just "Render Wedges" on the wedge and it'll fail but create the variables you need and you can move on from there. At least with v18.
  • Quick Links